Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mega Flow Overflow Kit? Good, bad?

Please respond with any experiences you guys have had with your MegaFlow Overflow kits...I am thinking of purchasing one and want to make sure its worth the investment.

Right now I am suffering from both pump noise (from inside the cabinet and wet/dry filtration, as well as my overflow being quite noisy. Any advice on a pump that is quieter than a Danner Mag 7 please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Can't help ya much on the overflow box kit, but thought you might be interested in the overflow noise fix. Durso standpipe. http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

HTH

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a Mag 7 and find it very quite and I have mine plumbed inilne....how do you have yours set up? Is it submerged or inline? The water flow noise can be taken care of by extending your drain line to below the water level if that is where it is coming from in the Wet/Dry....If you are talking about the water cascading through the bioball area there isn't much you can do about that as that is how it is designed to work. As for the pump you'll have to answer my question above before I can offer much help...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Am i right in assuming that u have a reef ready tank with built in overflows?? if so don't buy the megaflow kit for them. Google durso standpipe and build your own it only cost me 7$ to make 2 for my 120g and they want like 50$ a peice for the All Glass ones.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #5

Here is the spec's/setup:

-140 Gallon Hex flatback TruVu Freshwater aquarium
-Center overflow with single pipe extending from bulkhead with gill slits cut into it
-flextubing attached to the TruFlo 180 Wet/Dry
-Sitting in the sump is my Mag 7 pump

Goals are a extremely quiet tank. I am about to purchase a UV Sterlizer as well. I just need to know how to set my current pump up to make it more quiet (i can hear it upstairs) or buy a better pump. Also, how much time does it take to make the Durso standpipe and get it dialed in? I just want to get this tank running as best it can so I can start enjoying it.

Thanks for the comments so far and any further ones you can provide

-M
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also use the mag 7 submersed feeding my skimmer. It isn't loud at all and their is more noise from the skimmer itself. I agree with JM regarding the megaflow overflow. I have two on my 120 and though they are quite, you could easily make them yourself some cash. Use it on other items like corals. The only problem I have with it though is the bulkheads. They aren't standard fittings so you have to run flex pvc or flex tubing to it. For the drain I tried 1" and 1 1/4" flex pvc and it would leak after a few days. I then went to 1 1/2" flex pvc and it's been fine. I would have liked to use regular pvc but could not fit the bulkheads. As mentioned, you're better off building your own.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

There must be something wrong with your Mag7. I am running a Mag 18 on my 120g and i sleep about 15 ft from the tank and can't hear a thing. My skimmer pump makes the only noise that i can hear and its half the size of the Mag 18. this is where i got the instructions for my durso drains http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.co...standpipe.html

PS. An extremely quiet tank is only something that can be dreamed about. IMO if you have all the proper equipment and pumps needed to run the equipment there will always be a small amount of nuisance noise of some sort.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the pump sitting directly on the bottom glass? If so putting something between the pump and the glass to absorb the vibration should really help. Eggcrate might work, there may be something better. Maybe there is some cavitation in the pump. Unplugging and plugging it back in once or twice should expel any air. Do you have a lot of air bubbles around the pump? Are you sure there are no lose/leaking connections(plumbing and pump cover)? Complaints about Mag pumps being noisy are few and far between IME. HTH
Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Right you are JM...no matter what you are moving a lot of water around and there is going to be some noise...IMO it is that gentle noise that makes this hobby so soothing...

140g tank...that isn't much flow with only a Mag 7 as a return. I have a 72g tank with 2 660gph pumps as returns....
Old 04-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #10

15ft from the tank and its quiet?

Hmm...maybe something is wrong with my Mag 7. I pretty much have to crank the TV up to drown out the humming so that I can hear the dialogue when sitting in the same room.

JM I am curious as to how you have yours set up? Inline or just sitting in the sump?

Mine is just sitting in the Wet/Dry. By putting egg crate in, you mean submerse it with the pump? I guess I could give that a whirl? But if it is the pump I can still return it to the store since I just installed it over the weekend.

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com