Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Megaflow plumbing advice needed

I have a 90 gal Megaflow with the accessory kit. According to the head loss calculator my Mag 9.5 should be about 600 gph. I will have the drain split with about half running directly in to my ASM G3 and the other half running into my fuge. The way I have it designed requires the drain to have a 90 elbow directly after the bulkhead. It will run about 18" horizontally then tee off to the skimmer and fuge. Anyone ever try this? I was wondering if the drain will be able to keep up with the pump? I have already opened up the slots in the megaflow but I am concerned that I may have too much restriction in the drain plumbing itself. All thoughts are highly appreciated!

saltwatersmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
You will have to try it and see. You can always throttle the pump back iff needed. The overflow can handle it but I don't know how much you are restricting it with your setup. I have read of some that get 1000 or so gph out of the modded Megaflow. I might be off a bit on the gph but I think that it is close.

I have never ran a skimmer like that so I cannot comment there.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the input ellisz. I was just looking for any experience that says this may not work before I glue anything.
saltwatersmac is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, megaflow, plumbing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com