Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Melted/Cracked Light Strip!

I have a 55 gal tank with 2) 23 inch light strips. The plastic that holds the bulb in place has all melted and is cracking away. I replaced one of the light strips a couple weeks ago with a used one I found at the local pet store. Now, I cannot find another one that's 23 inches. Seems they don't make them anymore. Can you buy the plastic housing that holds the bulbs in place? Thanks!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

24" lights are pretty common. You can look online and find a lot of them. Depending on what kind of hoods you have, you could also buy a shop light from Home Depot for less money.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

petsmart carries the fluorescent hoods for 10g/20g/55g tanks for about $20 that includes the hood and light. you may also want to check craigslist, there's usually several good deals floating around on there

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the replies! It states that it is 24inches, made by All-Glass Aquarium Inc, Model #R17929....but when I measure it, it's only 22 1/2 inches??? There is a plastic piece in the middle of the two lights....I guess that is why they only measure 22 1/2 inches. I bought it as a kit from Walmart: Walmart.com: Aquaculture: Home Starter Kit 55 Aquarium, 1 Kt: Fish
I've checked Craigslist, all the local pet shops, and tried to contact the manufacturer. I even took the old light to the pet stores for them to measure. The 24 inch ones they have will not work. The hood itself is in perfect condition. It's just the white plastic that holds the bulb in....can you buy just that piece? If not, I guess I'm going to have to buy a 48in hood and I'm short on cash....I might have to try the shop light. Thanks for any more suggestions and all of your help!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's just the piece that holds the bulb, try going to Home Depot, Menards, etc., or Radio Shack. They can probably get you something that will work. It may not match precisely, but it'll do the job. I'd take the melted one with to try to match it. Also know the size of the bulb. (T5, T8, T12) A little soldering and some heat shrink tubing and you'll be back in business.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your help! I'll try that!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the help everyone! I found an under cabinet kitchen light at Lowes for $14 that worked perfect....just wired it to the switch and power cord in the hood! Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you plan on keeping in that 55g?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've got a pleco, 2 angels, 6 neon tetras, 4 skirt tetras. I'm going to add a few more later. I just re-did my tank a few weeks ago. I had a jack dempsy & a salvini. The jack died after a couple years, so I gave the salvini to a friend....wanted to try my luck with a couple angels.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good score on the lights. They will do fine. I am not sure about those lights if you plan to go heavy planted.

Tags
crack, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com