Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mesh Mod

I recently purchased an Octopus Extreme 160.. Was a highly regarded skimmer for the money. After researching and reading bout this skimmer online I have found that many have opted to run mesh on their wheel.

This skimmer actually came with some mesh for this purpose but no instructions as how to go about doing it. It also came with a paddle wheel and a pin wheel which is in the pump.

So I have a couple questions:

1) Do you most of you do the "mesh mod" to your skimmers? Do you find that it improves performance?

2) HOW? How do you do this? From looking at one photo I saw, it appears that this mesh is cut into a circular shape matching that of the wheel and small enough to avoid binding up the wheel. Then the mesh is attached to a wheel via fishing line. Holes are drilled through the wheel to allow for fishing line to attach the mesh. Is that basically it?

3) What wheel to use? Do I use the paddle wheel that came with the skimmer? How? DO I cut off the paddle portion allowing for the mesh to be installed? Do I use the Pin Wheel by cutting off the pins?

Thanks for the help.

Here is the mesh that came with the skimmer and the paddle wheel.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I did the mesh mod to my Octo NW200. Use the needlewheel impeller. Mine had 2 rows of needles and I cut the top row out. I attached the mesh to the impeller with fishing line.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

^Thanks for the reply. That looks like the other one I saw - except you used fishing line instead of zip ties. I would have to think the fishing line would work best. My only concern cutting up the pin wheel is that once I cut it I can't go back and use it again if I have problems with the mesh or my work.

Do you see a reason I couldn't cut the paddles off the paddle wheel and use it? I assume I would never need to use the paddle wheel anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
It might work without cutting off the extra row of needles, but then you are adding some extra weight to the impeller which can cause it to spin slow or use more power. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter to check the draw on the pump before and after I did the mod. With all the mods I did to my skimmer, it's pulling less electricity now than when it was new and unmodded. I used the fishing line instead of zip ties because I used 3 layers of mesh and didn't want the extra weight.

I guess if you have no plans on ever using the paddlewheel, just cut them off and attach the mesh to that 1. From what I understand tho, you get better performance from an unmodded paddlewheel over an unmodded needlewheel.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I talked to the manufacturer of the skimmer.. funny thing they said they do not recommend anyone do a mesh mod.... however.... they include mesh and the paddle wheel for that purpose..lol

I will try to do the mod with the paddle wheel.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com