metal halide knowledge / opinions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepseadan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to transition from t5's to metal halides. I like the look of halides better. The few questions that weigh on my mind are

1. I see two different types of bulbs, mogul base and double ended. Is one better than the other?

2. How do you choose the right watt bulb? My tank is 48" wide and 24" deep. I know I need two because of the width but what is the best wattage (70, 150, 175, 250)?

3. How do you choose the k rating. I see all the way from 10k to 20k. Is it better to purchase a fixture with only halides (maybe 14k bulbs) or 10k halides with pc's with dual 420 and 460 actinics?
4. What about brand, any to stay away from. Is current USA any good? What about used?
5. Last, maybe off the topic, but what about a fixture with moonlight led's? Are they of any value other than looks?

1- neither 1 is better than the other, but there may be a bigger choice in bulbs with a mogul base
2- go with 2 x 250w
3- it depends on the look you want. 10K will be very white, 15K a little blue tint and 20K dominantly blue. I would stay away from PC bulbs, even as supplemental lighting. Look for either T5's or LED's to supplement the MH.
4- like just about anything else, you get what you pay for. I would suggest staying away from the generic no-name brands on Ebay and go with well known manufacturers like XM, Iwasaki, Ushio, Radium, Phoenix, etc.
5- moonlights are only good for your viewing pleasure.

The most important thing in a MH bulb, or any bulb for that matter, is the PAR rating. Check out Sanjays lighting site for comparisons of multiple MH bulbs.
Manhattan Reefs - Sanjay's Lighting Guide

I own a few odyssea T5 lights but i can't recommend the metal halides from them. I've heard of the catching on fire stories and even if they are old stories still enough to make me not buy em. And trust me, I LOVE my odyssea t5's, I recommend them all the time.

I'm running 3x 400w Hamilton technology. The guy who got me started in salt told me there one of the best. I don't have any corals so I can't say if their good for coral.

Alright. Thank you! I will just have to find another good but inexpensive brand.

Back
Top Bottom