Metal Halide positioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just put up a clamp-on 150W HQI Metal Halide light on my 45 gallon hexagon tank, with the intentions to add some corals once water parameters are right.

What is the closest I can keep the light from the surface of the water? Currently it is about 8 inches up. I ask for two varying reasons: (1) I'm worried about the heat from the bulb; and (2) that light is so bright, it's almost distracting as it lights up nearly my entire apartment and does blind the eyes when closely viewing the tank.

Any advice is appreciated!

Just point it down more and you could lower it some more. Just make sure no water can splash on the bulb and it crack. Moving this to the General hardware and equipment discussion.

I have mine hanging about 6 inches above the water. I also use a fan to blow across the surface. Before the fan, my temp would hit 82 now, it stays stable at 78.

Thanks folks, I'll move it down some more.

Is there anything I can do to keep the light from illuminating the rest of the room? It feels like I have a spot light or movie camera light on me at all times! Plus it does hurt the eyes a bit.

PS - how many hours a day is recommended to run the light? I've never used such powerful lighting before!

Back
Top Bottom