Metal halide to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
K so my tank has been up for a year since the big move and upgrade to the 90g w sump, which is going great. My question is Ab my light fixture I have a 48 aqualight pro with two mh. First problem is I fry timers, they work for Ab 3-6 months then the dial will get sticky and spun broken as u spin, do I need a better timer? The last one broke Ab a week and a half ago so my acintics and 4 lunar LEDs have been the only thing on, my coral mostly the mushroom colony are doing much better and I'm growing coralline like nvr before just wanted input maybe I took the wrong route w the metal halide and need to downgrade

About the timers, you have to get a higher wattage one. I got one of the outdoor timers that are meant for sprinkled systems. It was forty bucks, but I haven't had an issue since. I had a similar problem. Only one of my bulbs would turn on with the timer on, so I got a bigger one.

Metal Halide is out of date nowadays, Usually the way to go if you can afford Metal Halide is LED. Plus LED will save your electric bill.

I wouldn't say halides are out of date. IME they are the standard and LEDs are still tying to prove themselves. At best LEDs did exactly that this past year with a couple of the best models that are out right now, but I don't consider them tried and true enough to say metal halides are out of date.

I would try a higher quality timer. Double check the wattage they are made to handle.

I do not think you went overboard with the halides at all. That is exactly what I would have put on that tank. With halides I would try more stoney corals and clams.

Back
Top Bottom