Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Metal Halide Wattage

Looking for a x-mas present for my brother. Currently he has a 60" hood w/ 2 175W 10K metal halide bulbs. He has a bad ballast, and me and my dad were thinking of just getting him a new good for x-mas w/ new ballasts and all.

He has a taller tank, its 5 foot wide..id say maybe foot and a half tall or so. The new hood would have 3 bulbs, but dont know if I should get 175W or 250W. What difference does the wattage play on the whole thing except for the electric bill. Since its a taller tank, would a higher wattage help get light down further?

Its a 125 Gallon tank, and will be keeping some corals, theres flowerpot coral, an anenome, some mushrooms, and something else I dont remember the name of. Will be mostly softies.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Are you talking a whole new lighting fixture or just a retrofit kit?
I would check here to get some ideads.
As for the higher wattage, if he is thinking of different corals that require higher wattage, you should go for the 250W. If his corals are happy (sorry, I am not a reefer), then you could probably just replace the old ballast.
I would wait for other more experienced advice....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is what I was thinking of

http://cgi.ebay.com/5ft-60-Metal-Hal...QQcmdZViewItem

I take it his corals are happy? they are still alive haha and they are growing.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Ok, what are the Wattages on his other lights? With that fixture, you should get about 8WPG, if my math and your dimensions are correct.
The only problems I see, is there is no name brand, only one ballast (mine has one for each MH) they are attached to the unit (mine plug in, they tend to be heavy), no moon LEDs (unless you order them separately) and I don't see anything about cooling fans....
BUT, this is a pretty decent price. I am going to move this to General Hardware thread, where more knowledgable folks can help.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Right now he has 2 175W lights, I agree on the no name..but the ballasts are warrantied for 5 years, and the fixture for 1 year. They have 2 4" cooling fans it says, and for 30 bucks they will put in some moonlights with a seperate switch. I cant really tell whats going on w/ the ballast, I should try and ask for some more pictures. I was looking for this sections earlier..and passed it by so I through it in the general saltwater area. Thanks for moving it.

With that said...I think he has 2.8wpg now, 350/125 and if I did these..he would have 750/125 so 6wpg That isnt count the acintics, that would raise it a little, if that counts into the calculations.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Metal Halide Wattage

Yeah, add the total watts and divide by the gallons of the tank, it is not a scientific measurement, but it is a general idea.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
halide, metal, metal halide, wattage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com