Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
IMHO WPG is not very useful. It is only good for describing the minimum amount of light needed.
It becomes very relevant and useful after you have fried a bunch of corals from making the mistake of thinking if a little is good, then alot must be better.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have experience with that particular Corallife PC unit. Used it in addition to a 48" 8 bulb PC on a 220g (48" wasn't long enough ). It lights up the left side of the 220g and a LTA sits right under it... and 400w on that should be PLENTY. two bulbs actinic placed in the rear or alternating, and a couple 10K's or a 10K and a 14-20K and you'll hold whatever the heck you want (that will survive in that little water anyway).

That device has its own fan as well as a plastic shield to prevent too much heat from pouring down on to your tank.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
after you have fried a bunch of corals from making the mistake
I run 13.1 WPG w/ no problems(MH/VHO). The tank has been up for 9 months. It was the acclimation that was stressful. Everything now has better colors than ever. My BTA's are climbing upwards directly under a 250w MH.
If a coral is x inches from the surface and the MH lamp is mounted Y inches from the water surface directly above it, it does not matter whether there are 10 or a 1000 gals of water surrounding the coral. It is still getting the same amount of light (assuming the water clarity is the same). That is why I say WPG is OK for figuring the minimum amount of light needed.
I know it is very possible to run MH on a tank this size as long as you take care of the heat and only stock appropriate (high light) corals and clams. Reefrunner69 used to/still does run a 175w MH over a 20 gal.

Tags
15 gallon, 5 gallon, halide, metal, metal halide, tall, wattage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com