Metal Halide with glass top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darknessheir

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I currently have a 48 in power compact fixture that is 260 watts total. It takes up about half of the tank top. The tank has a glass top and then the light sits directly on the glass with the canopy on top. I want to purchase a clamp on metal halide thats about 150watts and clamp it on the back to help boost the light in my tank. I am just wondering if I will have any problems with the glass top breaking or trapping to much heat. I have a sump with fans which helps with evap and cooling. Just dont want to buy this metal hallide and have my tank have to be topless becasue I have a 4 yr old. Need canopy thus the glass top!

I will assume since you have 48" lights, the tank is 48". 1 150w MH fixture will only give you coverage for 1/2 the tank. There will be a huge difference in brightness between the aprox 2' area lit my the MH and the rest of the tank. You shouldn't have any issues with heat causing the glass to break, but you will probably have issues with salt creep and splash marks on the glass cutting down the light penetration. Pretty much any water that hits the glass under the MH will dry instantly.

so do you think that it would look weird with the light on the far left or right?
do you think it would look better if the light went in the middle of the tank to allow for better dispersal and maybe a more even look?

I too have 2 young girls ages 3 and 5 and was more worried about using a sump than keeping an open top, so my top is open and went with a canister filter.IMO I find the kids enjoy getting into the cabinets more than the top of the tank.

I would go the 250w or 2 150w. I think that with the young kids if you involve them with the tank (let them do things) while you supervise they are less likely to be interested in it without you. I know I sound fluffy but I thought I would put it in.

I would go the 250w or 2 150w. I think that with the young kids if you involve them with the tank (let them do things) while you supervise they are less likely to be interested in it without you. I know I sound fluffy but I thought I would put it in.
I agree with Spikey, I've got my two daughters involved along with the wife but the 5 year old guards the tanks (also performs the water tests) and is teaching the 3 year old. Granted supervision is a must but i have confidence that when they go to look at the tanks no funny stuff is going on (Except for the 5 year old trying to hand feed the cichlids).

Back
Top Bottom