Metal halides vs leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So ive been debating on getting LEDs for my 110 system for some time now and i need a lil help, Ok so the big question, which is better? Are they worth it? How manny leds do i need for my tank? Can they grow all corals? Same effects as halides? Are they worth it? Wondering if you guys can give me some input, and im running 3 halides totaling 550 watts on my tank now so i want leds that are gunna perform better and only would get them if they are like a huge landslide better then halides. Thanks for the input everyone

Yes, the right LED fixtures are worth it. They are more potent than Halides and still give you the shimmer folks seem to love. Under the right fixture, you can grow anything you want. 3 halides at 550 watts? that doesn't add up. Are you adding in your actinic supplement?
So, I'm guessing you have 150 watt halides. The difference will be night and day.
There will be virtually no heat, no bulb change, and less electricity used.
You will have to acclimate your corals very carefully however. LEDs may seem as bright as halides, but they penetrate the water better.

Have 2 150 and a 250, not icluding actinics and cf, would i still need actinics with leds? How would you acclimate them? Is there a guid to follow with leds like there is with halides like x watts of light to x amount of gallons?

Most good LED fixtures have a mix of blue and white. Get a fixture with separate dimmers, and turn them low to acclimate.

Have 2 150 and a 250, not icluding actinics and cf, would i still need actinics with leds? How would you acclimate them? Is there a guid to follow with leds like there is with halides like x watts of light to x amount of gallons?

With leds there is no x watts to x gallons. My kessil only draws 32 wats of power but I have fried sps 12" below it due to not acclimating them to the light. Like mr x said they penetrate water very well.

Yes, 3 of the 120 watters will allow you to grow whatever you want, wherever you want. No, you won't need actinics.

What leds should i get? Im looking for something thats gunna be controlable not only on the module but as well as on a controller and on computer for intensity and diffrent mods, something that reliable and wont break down quick any ideas guys?

What leds should i get? Im looking for something thats gunna be controlable not only on the module but as well as on a controller and on computer for intensity and diffrent mods, something that reliable and wont break down quick any ideas guys?

Taotronic lighting on ebay is nice for the price. Either that or build your own onbuildmyled.com

Any dimmable unit will be good for controlling with a timer, but to control intensity via computer, you'll need a higher end system.

Back
Top Bottom