Methylene blue and filter sponges in QT. First fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I just got my first fish (YAY!), an Ocellaris clown (I think)

I did a FW dip in RODI with a high concentration of methylene blue for 90 seconds. I couldn't stand it any longer, since I couldn't see him to tell how much he was stressing.

I put him in my QT which has 6gal in it from the main (cycled empty besides inverts)

I dropped in the sponge I have had in the main tank for a week to provide some filtration

Then I dropped in 6 drops of methylene blue.

THEN I read the bottle, which says "may kill off your good bacteria"

What can I do now? Is this concentration going to leave me essentially filterless?

I don't think you need to treat for anything unless a disease presents itself.
As for the biofilter in qt, monitor your levels daily and battle ammonia and nitrite with small, daily water changes if need.
IMO, even with a cycled qt tank, it takes some time for the biofilter to adjust.
I guess what I;m saying (sorry, very tired) is be ready with change water.

yeah, I was considering not medicating at all, but fenner strongly recommends at least methylene blue. Apparently it's good for fish, since it increases the o2 level in the blood.

Maybe I'll just add the last 4 gal of water without any more mb, thereby diluting it by 40% or so.

I have to buy another heater tomorrow. I have one in the QT and on in the main, and no more to make water with. oops.

you're probably right. I read it a while ago, and I was running around like a nut tonight trying to make sure I did everything right with my first fish.

I did manage not to get any of the shipping water into the QT. I hope I didn't stress the guy too much with the dip and all.

he seems happy and ate right away

I may be incorrect, but isn't 90 seconds too long for a freshwater dip? I thought about 30-45 seconds was all you want/need.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

I have heard 7-8 minutes is best if the fish is not stressed. Since I couldn't see him, I pulled him out after 90 secs.. he probably would have been fine longer.

FWIW, they aren't kidding when they say it stains.... EVERYTHING. My sink is stained pretty bad. no big deal since it's a set tub (which I recommend to everyone. 5 gal bucket fits with plenty of room to spare. no worries about overflowing rodi. also it was easy to mount a RO faucet on it, since it drills easily.)

I have never fresh dipped a fish, not sure why you would unless you see signs of parasites. I use MB in my acclimation process and have had great success doing it this way. Good luck with the new Clown.

Back
Top Bottom