mewbie needs help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mappy306

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks. New guy in the school. Need some help. My wife asked me for a fish tank. Found her a 26 gallon bow front with hood, stand, filter.... everything except decor and water. It came with a Penn Plax Cascade 700! Way to much for 26 gallons, in my opinion. So what hob filter do you think is best for a community tank? I have small kids and dont want a filter sitting on the floor. It also has sand for substrate. W do i do with the cascade 700... where can i sell it? Also how can I secure the stand and tank so it wont tip forward (my wife says it has to be secure).
I paid $100. Not bad. And the wife loves it.

If it were me I'd keep the 700. You can never go wrong with over filtering. You can buy straps from a hardware store to prevent tipping. It's small with a few holes to put a screw into the wall.

If you really don't want the canister your best bet is going to be trying Craig's list or a local fish club. Since most LFS wont buy equipment. For HOB I prefer the aqua clear filters. They've got three stages of filtering and adjustable flow rate. The smallest I'd go would probably be the ac50

Thanks. I read that the 700 is rated at 185 gph and up to 65 gallon tank. So thats not as high as I thought. I would be filtering the tank 7x an hour. Thanka.... i was thinking it was way more and fish could get sucked to the intake. Next.... heater. 100w or 150w?

Back
Top Bottom