MH and MH HQI what up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe a couple of stupid questios,first whats the difference between these two lighting systems?I have a 48"aqualight cf setup,will a aqualight mh retrofit kit fit in this housing?Last,should either system be used with glass lids? TIA

I think your best bet is to either buy a new system completely or buy the retro fit and build a canopy for it. Most systems like the aqualight are not setup to be disassembled. I would not put a glass lid on a tank at all. It will create havock withyour PH and temps.

I agree with ziggy. Either buy a new complete system or retrofit if you have a hood.

What do you plan on keeping? 90g are really deep ( tall ) and I think HQI penetrate water better than moguls? Im not sure...ziggy can answer that one.

HQI ballast will overdrive lamps giving off more PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) generally. But HQI tend to use more electricity, and run hotter. I'd imagine lamps have to be replaced more often as well. Here is a link w/ some PAR values for different bulb/ballast combos, including regular electronic ballast vs an HQI ballast. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/jb/index.php
Double ended lamps will need a glass shield to absorb harmful UV rays. SE, or mogul based lamps, have the uv filter built in to the outer envelope.

MT speaks the truth! The HQI will penetrate deeper but they do burn hotter and MUST be shielded!! I have moguls on my tank, they work very well!

Ziggy953 said:
The HQI will penetrate deeper but they do burn hotter and MUST be shielded!!
FWIW, so there is no confusion, you can also run mogul based (AKA single ended) lamps on an HQI ballast. They would not need to be shielded. Double ended lamps do seem to be the most popular choice when using an HQI ballast though, for what ever reason.

Back
Top Bottom