MH Ballast ? Magnetic vs Electronic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david_396

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm putting together a 175w MH fixture (20k lamp, 45 gal tank/20 gal sump) and I have a brand new in-the-box magnetic ballest. Besides the extra heat that a magnetic ballest will produce is there anything else that I'm missing when comparing the two types of ballasts. thanxs david

magnetic ballast are tuff, heavy, and big power hogs. Electronic break a little more often and run much cooler and MUCH more efficient.

sounds like an electronic ballast would be the way to go with California's outragous energy prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanxs david

Electronic ballast can easily save you big $ over the life of the ballast as all the heat the tar and magnet ballasts produces is lost energy (ie bigger electric bill).

I have a blueline electronic ballast thats driving a 250W XM bulb and after being on for 8 hours the ballst is only slightly warm to the touch.

Electronics can also maintain the bulb's light output and color over time better than a magnetic (they sense bulb shifts and adapt)

I think one of the more attactive points of electronic ballasts is the abiltiy to run most types of bulbs in that wattage (if not all) from one the same ballast..
magnetic ballasts need to be matched up to the type of bulb your using.. electronics really dont have that issue to some extent (other then HQI or non HQI bulbs)
and the HQI electronic ballasts can operate normal MH bulbs.. so extra bonus..
HTH

Back
Top Bottom