MH Bulbs - Retrofit installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve149c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm really struggling with my Watts/Litre. My tank is a 270L Bow fronted, which means that the rectangle section at the back is 120cm x 26cm, and then the front bows out 19 cm more. I can't buy an off the shelf lighting system.

If I install regular T5 tubes I can only get 3 x 34" tubes, producing a total of 117 Watts, which is about 0.5 Watt/Litre.

Therefore I have looked at mounting two 150W Metal Halides in the rear section, and a single T5 or possibly another 150W MH in the front section which would give 2 Watt/Litre. My questions are:

(1) What's the spread on the light, ie the footprint of the beam?
(2) How hot do 150W's get?
(3) How much gap above and below the lights do I need?

I may well resort to building a new lid for the tank, but before I do I'd be interested in the answers.

My tank will be Fish & reef, with soft coral/polyps to begin, but I might move onto hard corals later.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Steve

I believe that a MH bulb sitting 6" -12" (15cm - 30 cm) above the water line should have about a 2' x 2' (60cm x 60cm) beam to the bottom of the tank.

I would think that you could get a 4 or 6 bulb fixture to go over the rectangualr part of the tank, but I have not researched that.

I have dual 175w MH 2x110w VHOs and 2x54w T5s over the same tank. The rectangle part of the tank is equal to that of a standard 55g tank.

Thanks for all that,

I think I am going to probably a 6 or 7 T5 system over the tank, mixture of lights for specific temp colours etc. Then I have some good control for the photoperiod of sunrise and set, plus lamps for a moon lamp.

So that should be 6x39Watt day lights, and 1x39Watt night light, giving me 234 Watts at day, or just shy of my 1 watt per litre aim (270L tank).

Thanks again,

Piccies on the way as I progress,

Steve

Thanks for all that,

I think I am going to probably a 6 or 7 T5 system over the tank, mixture of lights for specific temp colours etc. Then I have some good control for the photoperiod of sunrise and set, plus lamps for a moon lamp.

So that should be 6x39Watt day lights, and 1x39Watt night light, giving me 234 Watts at day, or just shy of my 1 watt per litre aim (270L tank).

Thanks again,

Piccies on the way as I progress,

Steve

Just curious, why go with the 39w (36" bulb?) rather then the 54w 48" bulb? I used the 48" bulbs (54watts) on my 72 and could easily have gotten 4-6 over it. Just curious as to your choice there.

Back
Top Bottom