MH light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
What size bulb (watt) would you recommend for a 30g 30inch sea clear acrylic tank? I was thinking a 150w MH pendant lamp. I usually use LEDs, but wanted to try a MH lamp. Heard you can achieve better colors.

Mh are typically used for a 2'X2 surface area, the depth of the water as well as the inhabitants determines wattage. So how high is the tank?

I would go with a 150 or 175 watt to start, keepin in mind the outer edges of the tank will need lower light corals.

reefrunner69 said:
I would go with a 150 or 175 watt to start, keepin in mind the outer edges of the tank will need lower light corals.

I use two 250w halides on my 55 18" deep sps dominant but there are some lps great results

reefrunner69 said:
And I have a 250w on a 20 long, doesn't mean I would recommend others do it. That's also why I said to start ;-)

Why would you not reccomend them if your using them? Just my opinion id go bigger maybe start the light higher above aquarium then gradually lower them unless you have money to keep upgrading lights ive never had any issues with to much light

Readingexcalibur said:
This is the kit I was thinking. I had and LED setup on another tank and pretty much bleached a lot of corals, so for this new tank, I wanted to try something deferent.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-Metal-Halide-System-p/54243.htm

I use their fixture also but i did upgrade from the odyssea bulb to a phoenix 14k and ive read that they upgrade their ballasts in last couple years

danbstrong said:
Why would you not reccomend them if your using them?

Because what I recommended is the appropriate size, without knowing how well they maintain their tanks, or if they are already having nuisance algae issues it would be irresponsible of me to recommend overkill.

I had great success with a 175w mh over this tank and upgraded so I could ensure that the amount of light on my tank would not be a limiting factor.

reefrunner69 said:
Because what I recommended is the appropriate size, without knowing how well they maintain their tanks, or if they are already having nuisance algae issues it would be irresponsible of me to recommend overkill.

I had great success with a 175w mh over this tank and upgraded so I could ensure that the amount of light on my tank would not be a limiting factor.

I suppose it would also matter of type of coral being kept i agree the 175w is appropriate reccomended wattage for this size tank but i to didnt want light to be a limiting factor as mine is sps dominant agree for most applications 175 should be sufficient but ive only used 250w on mine with good results i guess the only reason i reccomended 250 was to save on upgrading later if neccassary or desirable as fixtures are not cheap

Well I have a torch/frogspawn/birdsnest and some monti. I would like to get an acro or two. This is the system with just t5HOs. No algae problems, I am running a 30g tank with a 30g sump, phosban reactor, and a aquaticlife slimmer.

All my other tanks have LEDs so the halides are new to me.

Attachments

• image-3529083472.jpg
    image-3529083472.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 55
I would go with a 175w 14k bulb and run the t5 as actinics. If you go with a 250w make sure you have a way to reduce output if need be.

What about temperature? I do like the blue look and was considering a 20k bulb.

The reason I liked the 150w bulb is its ease of finding a replacement quick, I don't see any 175w for sale here.

Readingexcalibur said:
What about temperature? I do like the blue look and was considering a 20k bulb.

The reason I liked the 150w bulb is its ease of finding a replacement quick, I don't see any 175w for sale here.

20k does have a bluer tint but you will get little to no growth out of your coral thats why i reccommend phoenix 14k bulb this bulb does have somewhat of a blue tint supplement it with actinics youll get coral growth and good color
This is my aquarium with phoenix 14k 250w reefbrite actinics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120813_171333.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_171333.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 45
danbstrong said:
20k does have a bluer tint but you will get little to no growth out of your coral thats why i reccommend phoenix 14k bulb this bulb does have somewhat of a blue tint supplement it with actinics youll get coral growth and good color

I thought my fixture from aquatraders came with 20k odyssea bulb if i remember right its been awhile

danbstrong said:

Just curious, do you know why I would see less growth based on the color of the bulb? I thought corals like the blue spectrum more. Just curious, I may with the 14k if that is the case.

Readingexcalibur said:
Just curious, do you know why I would see less growth based on the color of the bulb? I thought corals like the blue spectrum more. Just curious, I may with the 14k if that is the case.

Lower kelvin = better growth 10k is best for coral growth but it has a yellowish tint youll probably be fine to start off with the 15k but when you replace the bulb id reccommend a brand name bulb its much brighter with a higher par

Back
Top Bottom