Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Save some $ and just buy GFO from Bulk Reef Supply. It's the same as RowaPhos, but much cheaper. And while your there, get a reactor to run it in. The ViaAqua comes with a pump and all the accessories you need.

That's a good skimmer. Use it. And tap water is good for flushing the toliet, not so good for a reef.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Awesome Larry! Thanks! I kinda like this reactor below. Not that I'm planning on using carbon, but just in case.

Plus, I like the mounting option on this one. I don't have any floor space down there.

BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor Bulk Reef Supply

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

That will work. You just need a little maxijet 400 to run it. Very, very slow flow thru the reactor.

Here's my ViaAqua reactor in my sump next to the skimmer.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

They recommend a MJ900. Too fast?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

I guess it depends on how far the pump is from the reactor. You only want about 100-200 gph thru it. Too much flow and it will pulverize the gfo from grinding together.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I gotta put the reactor pump in the intake side (left) of the sump/fuge and the reactor output in the return side with the main pump (right). Are the Via Aqua's hoses flexible? Replaceable - in case they aren't long enuf out of the box?

Pump will be maybe 18" down and 25 - 30" away from the reactor. All flex/vinyl hose.

BTW, what's the hieght on that Via Aqua? Edited. Found it - 15" H, 4" D, & 5" W. I think I can hang it on the front. Haven't stopped looking at that BRS model too. The VA's got a pump . Hmmm....

Old 02-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Think I'm going with the BRS model. Good reviews too, as does the Via Aqua. The BRS can stand up to backflushing and has comments about being very sound. Mine is gonna be an external (to the sump) install. Right at the cabinet door opening. 30" accros/horizontal and 18" down into the sump is where the pump goes.

With a MJ900, that should give me about 106 gph thru the reactor. A 1200 gets about 182 gph. An MJ600 gets 86gph - all factored with the head loss.

I'm leaning to the MJ900/106gph. Opinion??

The BRS clearly has barbed fittings so I can run flex hose and place the pump and output where I need them.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

OK. I got it now. There are no barbed fittings on the BRS. And it's got push fittings for the maxi-jet. Also has the balve valve at the input. That's means I'd get the MJ1200/182 gps and slow it if needed.

Proly have to split and extend the intake hose provided to get the length I need to the MJ.

Thanks Larry, been talking to my self in this thread all day. Worked out just fine. Felt your presence!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Glad you worked it out.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com