Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I had to add two additional dedicated lines for my reef setup. Better safe then sorry. I only needed one additional line but the same effort to run two. Now I wished I had run three.
I had thought about that. I'd have to go up two stories and then back down two. Or, since the room with the tank is in, is along the garage wall, I could just run conduit up, over and back down.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you have to run it both ways? I used romex cable, I ran 12/2 w/ground copper wire w/ a 20a breaker.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check with aquacave, they have it.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Why do you have to run it both ways? I used romex cable, I ran 12/2 w/ground copper wire w/ a 20a breaker.
I don't have to run it both ways. I was saying one or the other. If I run the conduit, it will be on the outside of the garage wall and would be the easiest way to do it. It's about impracticle to run it in the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
Check with aquacave, they have it.
Yup, found it there and ordered it last night. Grand Total: $1,049.97; ouch!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have double walls? Do you have an attic? They also sell romex trim in lumber form to cover the cable and you just paint it to match the house color or trim color.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your going to run Romex you should use 12/3 with a ground this way you will have an additional spare circuit in case you need it. By code two hot legs can share 1 neutral.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
If your going to run Romex you should use 12/3 with a ground this way you will have an additional spare circuit in case you need it. By code two hot legs can share 1 neutral.
Yes, this would work but the 12/3 wire would not run two GFCI. I don't think you can run two circuits with GFCI on two hots and one neutral. I think I will end up running 2 12/2 so I can have two 20 amp circuits, both with GFCI. I will have to check into a two pole breaker; this may be the way to do it.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you used GFCI outlets the instead of the breakers it would work with the 12/3, otherwise then yes you would have to run 2 separate home runs back to the panel. My bad I didn't realize you were planning on using GFCI breakers. With GFCI outlets you can only have one on each circuit but every outlet connected to the load side of each GFCI is protected by that GFCI.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

No "my bad" needed. I am still in the thinking / planning phase of this. I went and looked at my load panel and it is full up anyways. Darn home builders, not leaving any extra room in there. Guess to do this now, I will have to add a second load panel. Something I have not done before but it's as good of time as any to read up on it. Will just have to figure out how to kill the incomming 240. Think I will have to do that at the meter panel.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
Fish R friends, not food!

Not to hijack but, have you guys that have MH seen a huge jump in your electric bill? About how much?

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com