Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

If you're going to get another clamp on.. i would ditch the T5. Using those two clamp ons will give you more than enough light, and the T5 wouldn't really be doing anything besides adding more light, or lighting up the tank more efficiently. You could however just fill up your T5 fixture with actinic bulbs since actinics really give corals that color pop.. but if you don't care about that.. then ditch them. IMO.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, I will get rid of it when I get the other fixture. Right now it does have just blue actinic, and it's on a different timer. Set to come on and go off one hr before and after the MH. I actually think these 14k make my coral way more colorful then the T5 setup I had, so the actinic really only makes the tank look bluer which I don't really like anyway. Cmor how much was that LED lighting system and where did you get it! I've heard little about them and would like to know more! For now I will stick w/MH though. Thanks guys.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
so, you think the complete darkness to the sudden t-5 actinics coming on is any different than daylights coming on according to the fish? i doubt it. as a matter of fact i've seen fish respond the same way to both sources of light, so i would say i completely disagree.
as a matter of fact, i think halides are easier on a fish than t-5s because they have to charge up and don't turn on at full power, like t-5s do.

again, it's all for personal preference. kelso, you can get the same result from t-5 or metal halide. there is no benefit to using both, except to achieve a certain look.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

With 2x150MH I beleive he has enough light to cover the tank and not use the T5s for supplemental light. With just one MH I think supplementing with T5's, even actinic will be beneficial.
If the T5's are just actinic, the jump from darkness to light is not that great.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

it's still darkness to instant light. either way, it's gonna spook the fish the same.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

MrX, by same effect are you saying being able to keep the same coral or just looks? Cause since the switch to MH my coral have been lookin better then ever. Hopefuly I'm doing the right thing by switching. But the T5 will stay on untill I get my other MH. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I meant by same result not effect.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not gonna bother with the sunset sim anymore, I don't really notice a difference, if I had LED's though you bet your but I would. Can't wait till they become more well known for sale.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
MrX, by same effect are you saying being able to keep the same coral or just looks? Cause since the switch to MH my coral have been lookin better then ever. Hopefuly I'm doing the right thing by switching. But the T5 will stay on untill I get my other MH. Thanks for all the help guys.
it depends on how you look at it. we've all been talking about halides with actinic supplement. if you are asking if you can keep corals under t-5s as well as you can halides, the answer is yes, however, it would have to be the right fixture, the right bulb, and the right application.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got ya, in the time in between I did a little research. For me to keep what I want in my tank I would need a T5 6-8 bulb fixture. Even with that high ligh corals need to be close. I also have an acro, which need lot o light. Also I seem to see a lot about the 6-8 bulb having difficulty with the balasts. Lights flicker, some blow out within days of turning on. One guy said he installed his the day he got it, left for work came home to three shot bulbs. So I think for me MH are the way to go, I've already invested anyway. Thanks X.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com