mh lights or compact

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveFishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want mh but it is only a 30 gallon tank. Is 380 watts to much? 1(mh) 250w 2(pc)65w each... How much light should I have? I have herd 7-10 watts per gallon.... I want to keep all corals what would be the better option?

High output t5 with individual reflector, four bulb fixture would let you have anything.

a 250 watt halide is not too much for a 30 gallon tank. ultimately, it will depend on the corals you intend to keep, but if you like sps, the 250 will serve you well.

Yes, definitely. They are all adapted to different parts of the reef so different corals have different flow and light preferences. I have seen corals slowly acclimated to high light actually start to wash out to almost white (but not actually bleach).

Not if the tank is over 24" deep.

There are definitely great lighting options, but I don't think MHs have been replaced, yet. If anything does it will be the microwave powered plasma lights.

steve, you could use whatever you like over that tank- halides, high output t-5s, leds...it's all a matter of what you want to keep and how much you want to spend.

Fishguy2727 said:
Not if the tank is over 24" deep.

There are definitely great lighting options, but I don't think MHs have been replaced, yet. If anything does it will be the microwave powered plasma lights.

+1 electrodeless plasma rocks unfortunately the tech is extremely new so extremely expensive if you even find someone that will sell to you. Some prefer t5 others mh but t5 certainly hasnt replaced mh

i have checked various halide ballasts and lamps against t-5 setups and have found them both to be comparable, even over a 30" deep tank. it definitely depends on which bulbs, which ballasts, and which reflectors, but besides the shimmer of metal halide, you can manage the same PAR with either.

Definitely. One of the best tanks I have ever seen in person was all T5s and the guy had all sorts of SPS growing like weeds and clams at almost every depth, definitely can be an equivalent.

I ordered it too steve, except mine is 442 watts i was wondering the same, if I was over powering my tank. I hope not 250 MH light and 2 96 watt power compacts.. with leds lunars ... I was thinking if need be I could take the 250 watt bulb down to 150 Watt MH bulb.. right ?

not without replacing the socket. i'm assuming you are talking about a double ended lamp. the 150 watt lamp is shorter than the 250. what size tank ladybug? if the 250 is too intense, you could use a higher kelvin lamp and that would decrease the intensity.

not without replacing the socket. i'm assuming you are talking about a double ended lamp. the 150 watt lamp is shorter than the 250. what size tank ladybug? if the 250 is too intense, you could use a higher kelvin lamp and that would decrease the intensity.

It is a 46 gallon bowfront. However I switched over to a 6 x 39 watt t5 after steve told me the one he ordered for his tank with the MH from the same place I was considering heated up his tank quite a bit and it had to be suspended 14" above. not to mention the fixture was 15" wide and my tank is 12" on the sides and 16 in the center.. i didn't want light spillage.

Back
Top Bottom