Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

MH/PC combo light

I am looking for a MH/PC light combo for a 30” long 29 gallon tank. I found two units that are 24” long that seem to be just what I need. Both lights have about the same specifications and price. Do you have any knowledge if the Current USA Outer Orbit or the Coralight Aqualight Pro is a better product?? The only major difference I can see from you web page is that one unit has an external ballast and may run cooler. Any input you can give me would be appreciated. R

Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If I where to choise between the two I would go with the one with the remote ballast. Depending on the ballast type it can often contribute a significant amount of heat, aside from the MH bulbs.

Have you thought about a retrofit kit? This way you could construct an enclosure for your 30" long tank and install the 24" reflector and bulbs into this enclosure. Often retrofit kits are cheaper aswell.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I built my own 175 watt MH setup for about 130 bucks. Advanced ballast, XM bulb, I purched a reflector with a mogul attached to it but you could definatly make your own reflector and buy a mogul for cheap and save like 20 bucks. Then i just used a household extension cable to wire it all up. Very easy and self rewarding project.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great idea. But if this thing looks like a project from Home Depot it will never fly with the wife. Nothing hanging from the ceiling. That may eliminate all MH lights unless I want to get a chiller. Thanks. R
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have bothe the orbit and the Aqualight... both work the same way but the Aqualight looks sleekeR. The orBit is kinda 'bumpy'... wounded on toP
Old 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the reply.
1. Do you think these lights are the best way to go on a 29 gallon--I am worried about the heat from a large MH.
2. Would a VHO or T5 light be better--cooler running??
3. Do you think either of the 24" lights could be modified to work on the 30" wide tank and still allow easy access for feeding, etc??
4. Does either light look like it could be cut?? In your opinion could I get a 36" lamp and cut the housing to 30" and not make the light look like crap??
5. The quiz is over--go have a beer.
Thanks. R

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com