MH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxxmann

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 92 gallon corner reef tank with 2x175w 14000k MH on top. I was wondering if i decide to upgrade to possibly 2x250w or 1x400w, can I still use the part where the bulb screws into, or do I have to replace that as well? I am noticing that my tank looks dimmer at the bottom than it does at the top. The tank is around 32 - 36" deep, I think. Also, not sure if i am posting in the right forum. Please move to correct one if it is in the wrong spot. TIA.

Thanks for the help. My next question is I am in need of new lights. Should I get more MH lights, or should I go all out and get LED lights? wWhere do you recommend I get the lights, either kind?

y not give LED a shot? The main reason is that the increase output of the light would increase the heat if your tank by a lot.

Not sure how many watts, or whatever to get for the leds to get, compared to the mh lights. I currently have 350 watts on my tank and would like to have around 500, or the equivilant in the leds. Any suggestions?

500W MH on a 92 gallon? That is a lot of light and might be a bit too much IMO.
for 92g for about 300w would be enough for a MH. As for LED, it is all about PAR/PUR of the LED. As long as you can get about range from 250 tp 500 PAR for the tank you are well set for SPS tank. If cost is not an issue, you are welcome to go with 3x AI SoL or 3x of my Pharos LED.
I can promise you that it will not be as bright as MH simply because MH's lumen should be higher if you are running a whiter bulb. However, they will match the PAR level. Anything over that 250 to 500 PAR is just overkill and you have to dim down the fixtures or you will bleach your corals.

If cost is not issue, 2 or 3 of 144W bridgelux fixtures will cost about $200 to $300 less. However, it would be less functions and cost more to operate in long run

I can not keep any other color corals other than green and brown. I was told by several lfs people that I need more lights to keep blue and red stuff. That's why I was looking to get brighter lights. Currently I use 2x175 14k MH.

that is the first time I ever heard of color of the coral determind the lighting requirement of the coral.

A bright red mushroom doesn't need more light than the green bubble LPS for example.
The coloration of your coral could change depend on the spectrum of the light you use.
If your light is more closer to 10000K, even if they start as bright green or blue or red etc, they will slowly turn Brown. If it is closer to 20000K, your coral will slowly turn gree/blue

You should have Violet and some red and green to supplement your coloration overall. or most people go with higher Kelvin to bring the blue color out of corals.

So, 14k is not good enough? I thought it would be good because it is the middle between 10k and 20k. Am I wrong?

there is no right or wrong answer to the color temperature as long as it is between 12000K to 20000K, you are fine. It is all personal preferences. Some people choose to go with a lot bluer color in their tank as they think it is a lot crystal clear to them, but someone hated it cuz higher in Kelvin means lower in lumens and would not look as bright as something that is 12000K to human eyes.

If you choose to go with MH, that is totally fine, but understand the additional works you will need such as a chiller and changing light bulbs on time.
I am bias on this not because I sell LEDs, it is because I am a victim of MH myself due to heat. And I promised myself will never use another MH for my reef tank from that point on after losing about 20k worth of coral and fish.

I already am using MH lights on my tank now. 2x175 @14k. I had a little issue with the heat, but I installedntwo fans on my canopy and not have had an issue since. I am in need of a new set of lights as the age is getting close. A lot of stuff I have been reading says that in another 6-8 months would be better to get leds because currently you cannot change out individual ones that happen to burn out. I still do not understand the whole thing about needing something else compared to watts for mh lights.

So, has anyone on here ever heard of 1000bulbs.com? I purchased two light bulbs from them and put them on my tank a week or so ago. The tips of my acroporas are starting to look lighter. Is that a sign that they like the new bulbs, or is that a bad sign? I bought 2 14k 175watt MH bulbs. That is what I already had on there, just time for new ones that's all.

i could simply means it is reacting to the new light bulbs, not sure what you mena by lighter tho. If you saw the acropora start having some white tip, that means they are growing as they usually grow the skeleton first.

i think they are growing, i wouldn't worry about it unless you start looking at color loss on main branches

Back
Top Bottom