MH reflector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going be be retrofitting my already existing CF lights with two MH. I would like to get a reflector for two MH in middle and two CF on the outsides. Like two 96W Actinics and two 250W MH. My tank has a canopy, can I just screw the reflector right into the canopy or will it get too hot? I have the already existing CF fixture I can retrofit if need be. Canopy has two 4 in fan holes, I'm getting the fans, in top.
The picture enclosed is of tank, currently FW.

I just screw the reflector right into the canopy or will it get too hot?

It will more than likely be OK, but I would leave atleast an inch of space between the reflector and the top of the canopy. You may find the canopy is too short. It ti recommended that MH bulbs are kept 8-12" from the surface of the water.

It ti recommended that MH bulbs are kept 8-12" from the surface of the water.
Is this because of heating up the water too much, melting the acrylic (100gal bowfront W/brace in middle), or just too close to the water in case the bulbs get wet and shatter.
My canopy is currently 8" avove the water, but after I add the reflector and sockets it will be less. I can put the canopy of some sort of raisers if need be. Just wont be astheticaly pleasing. But " Gotta Do what ya Gotta Do" I guess.

Is this because of heating up the water too much, melting the acrylic (100gal bowfront W/brace in middle), or just too close to the water in case the bulbs get wet and shatter.

All of the above.

Back
Top Bottom