MH vs T5/VHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

Just asking this question, as I know most are MH supporters...

I am setting up a 75gal tank, and I am looking at two options for lighting (@$250.00)

option one:

CoralVue 48" Four Bulb T-5 Retro Kit. Includes reflector, 4 bulbs, electronic ballast, waterproof endcaps, and power cord. for 225

option two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=3981440506&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I think Option 1 is going to be a bit cheaper... but in the end if it only means another 100 dollars or so for the lights, then in all reality its only @$100 more expensive to go with MH over T5/VHO

if you know of any other alternatives to keep the cost down, then by all means, let me know.

TIA

ok....i am goin thru a similar question but i have personally ruled out MH - too pricey and i have enough heat issues as it is.

It really depends on what u want to have in your tank....if you are goin for the corals that requires intense ligths then MH...but not only look at the price for the MH but the replacement lights....gezz....they are over $50 for a bulb
with the MH, youll need to get 2 bulbs and it will run you about $100 additional

I want alittle of all....but I dont plan to get into the things that requires the MH lights and honestly i have seen and read that people have any corals they want under VHO....the LFS has all their nice corals on display under VHO :)
something to share is think about getting 2 seperate ballast to allow you to alternate the light cyclys....with moon lights you can create a 24 lighting....nite - dawn - full day- dust :)

i have seen and read that people have any corals they want under VHO....the LFS has all their nice corals on display under VHO
Well, that is a bit of a stretch. The LFS keeps them under VHO most likely b/c it's cheaper to run, and it's temporary. Long term, high light corals will fade or turn completely brown under flourescent lighting and possibly die. Some corals/clams require MH no ifs, ands, or buts about it. There is no way around the fact MH light is much more intense promoting faster growth, and supporting a wider variety of colors in coral/clams. As for which of the 2 lighting sytems to choose that is up to you. As said w/ MH heat is definitely an issue, as is the cost of upkeep. Also, I have never come across anything about the Cool Touch Lighting company-good or bad. HTH

Ok, assuming that i go the T5/VHO route...

I am guessing I will get to pick 4 bulb combos...
and recommendations here?

Also going this route what are going to be my limitations regarding corals/inverts?

Furthermore, if there is a better retro for the money please let me know...

Thanks again,

so of mykpoz's choices, then you are saying option 2, the MH retro kit is a better choice?

Go MH and get a cooling fan. As pearsont74 said do not forget your bulbs.
captivereefs.com has the CoralVue 48" Four Bulb T-5 Retro Kit. for $211.50 he also has a good rep on AA as opposed to a ebay seller.

i would love MH, but unfortunately I dont have the $$$ as I just spent $1500 on tank and $1500 on LR stock etc for 100gal. The other reason is the Queen angel that is going in there.. i wanted a reef tank but opted to go with some artificial stuff.. looks kinda real...not the best but it will fool all my family and friends who know nothing about the world of fish

I would go VHO if u are short on money, but obviously saving for the MH is a better option..

GL!!

the other option i have considered is a 2 buld VHO and later add a MH to the retro kit....you can spread the VHOs out and put 2 MH in the middle

mykpoz said:
Ok, assuming that i go the T5/VHO route...

I am guessing I will get to pick 4 bulb combos...
and recommendations here?
I would go w/ 2 actinic and 2 10k

mykpoz said:
Also going this route what are going to be my limitations regarding corals/inverts?
As Darin pointed out, most SPS and some clams ie. Crocea should only be kept under MH. You will still have plenty of options w/out those.
mykpoz said:
Furthermore, if there is a better retro for the money please let me know...
Darin at captivereefs.com will take care of you. He even gives 6% off to AA.com members :wink: . HTH

I think I am missing something....

After ordering this product from captivereefs.com

It came with 4 bulbs (all broken but that should be getting fixed) they were:

2 54watt actinic lights
2 54watt HO 50/50

now that only adds up to 216 watts for a total of 2.88 watts/gal

I know the T5's are supposed to be more efficent, but it seems as I will still be underlit if you will

Am I forgetting something or was this a bad choice?

mykpoz said:
I think I am missing something....

After ordering this product from captivereefs.com

It came with 4 bulbs (all broken but that should be getting fixed) they were:

2 54watt actinic lights
2 54watt HO 50/50

now that only adds up to 216 watts for a total of 2.88 watts/gal

I know the T5's are supposed to be more efficent, but it seems as I will still be underlit if you will

Am I forgetting something or was this a bad choice?

The key with T5s is the reflector. With an efficient reflector you will get more light intensity down into the tank. Sunlight Supply reflectors are supposed to be great - I'm setting up a 90g now, and using a Sunlight Suply 4 bulb (48" 54W) that I've heard is plenty sufficient for lps and some sps. There is a terrific thread related to t5s over on reefcentral.com.

Don't forget about lumens. Everyone gets hung upon watts. Lumen output is more important then watts and t-5's have a higher lumen output makingthem more powerfulat a lower wattage.

Thanks Darin,

Like I said, I just got a bit concerned when I started putting numbers together...

pearsont74 said:
so are t-5's better then VHO?
cause alot of VHO ballast can run t-5s

I think they are too, as the other post mentioned intensity is what it's all about, comparing wattage doesn't really work all the time. But again I'm basing this on the judgement of others who have convinced me that t5s are a good way to go, I'm just about to setup my 90g w/sunlight supply tek lights, using 4 54w bulbs which I've heard is plenty sufficient for lps and some sps.

Back
Top Bottom