Microbe Lift "Special Blend" & "Nite Out II"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I stopped by the LFS last night. They said they couldn't give me any gavel or filter media from an established tank. :sad:

Anyways. I talked to 2 different employees in 2 different departments. 1 in the fish room and 1 on the floor where they sell the supplies. They both recommended a product called "Microbe-Lift Special Blend" and a product called "Microbe-Lift Nite Out II" to cycle my tank. I was skeptical at first but the fact that they both swore by it and assured me it was the ONLY thing they used to set up all tanks in the store. They have 100's of tanks and all of them look darn good. I figured why not and bought a bottle. It was $8.99 for a 16oz. It definitely can't hurt and I have a lot of faith in my LFS.

The store is "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. It is well known and has been around for 25+ years.

Here's a link to the "Special Blend"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Special Blend

and "Nite Out II"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Nite-Out II

I use that myself, usually with the help of a seasoned sponge or something but not always. I've had great luck with it. I don't continue to use it though like the directions tell you to, just until the tank is cycled. Sometimes if my parameters are a little off and a w/c doesn't help I'll use it again after a w/c. What's funny is the person who recommended it to me doesn't really seem to like it and doesn't have much luck with it.

I have to wonder if these products are something like the stuff that Tetra recommends, Easy Balance with Nitraban. Because both the Easy Balance and the Special Blend say (not that I would) they reduce the need for frequent water changes, etc. Never had the inclination to compare ingredients.

While I agree it can't hurt it probably doesn't help. i also used the 2 bottles and didn't notice anything.

However, I have used BioSpira, which is kinda hard to find, and found that to help. that's the only "bacteria additive" I would think of using.

But either way, good luck, you might be one of the people that it works for! Some swear by it.

You're right Carey. I've heard that before about the BioSpira. I sort of doubt that the special blend has actual bacteria or at least doesn't have much. When did you use the BioSpira? I thought they quit making it and supposedly Tetra's SafeStart took its place because Tetra bought out the company or the patent or something? Or did you use it in a saltwater tank? I heard that they still make the biospira for saltwater tanks, but the Safestart is for freshwater. Ive heard nothing but raves about it and would love to find some if I ever need to start a tank from scratch. But since I have multiple tanks like you, I always have seeded media available for new tanks.

I can get it at one not so lfs. i also see it online too. havent checked if its good for freshwater too. I;ve used it in the past in FW.

I use special blend. On all my tanks I have 4. All SW. And I am setting up a new FW tank for Africans. And I will use it there. It works great.

Back
Top Bottom