Microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there anything I can do to reduce them? I started up my skimmer yesterday, and I am getting tons of them in my tank. My sump only has one compartment with both the return pump and skimmer in it. There are pictures of the set up on my profile. I have been reading that a lot of Microbubbles occur when you first start a skimmer. So will this problem correct with time, or am I going to have to do something about.it?

A bubble trap is simply two baffles next to one another. The first baffle is 1" off the bottom of the sump. The second baffle is attached to the bottom of the sump. The water flows under the first baffle, up between the first and second baffles, and over the second baffle.

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums - This website has a ton of information about sumps.

I didn't see the sump with the skimmer but if its in with the bio balls then there isn't a lot of room,so I think this may work,you need 2 pieces of pipe,1 3/4"and one 1 1/4"pipe.make the pipes the same length,then set them up as in the drawing(sorry,a bit basic done in paint).the water flow from the skimmer goes into the centre pipe.(these pipes may need to be larger if the pipe from the skimmer is larger than 3/4")it then overflows into the larger pipe and down to the bottom,the air bubbles rise to the top of the larger pipe which should be higher than the water level in the sump.cheap and cheerfull.

Most skimmers will take a day or two to acclimate themselves before they start working properly ,....my skimmer took about two days after it's initial set up before all the micro bubbles went away and it started working the way it was designed to

Sorry, here is a picture of it with the skimmer and sump both running. I just took it, I am not sure that there is any way to put a baffle in.

Attachments

• DSCN1280.jpg
    DSCN1280.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 87
ah,now I see it i would plumb the outlet back to the bio balls or at least to the section between the bio balls and the return section.

Back
Top Bottom