Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Miracle Mud vs Refugium Mineral Mud

I'm putting together a refugium and I was wondering if anyone has used these products. I would like to know the success rate and what are the difference between the two. Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I saw a study done on "miracle mud" a few years ago and the conclusion was that nothing was found in it to prove it came from the ocean. I found pieces of what appeared to be red brick and shiny man-made plastic things in mine. It's from someone's back yard IMO.
I used that stuff on a reef i kept years ago. No difference between that one and all the rest since. These are a waste of money in my opinion. I would get myself a few pounds of aragonite based sand and coat the bottom with that and call it a day.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I saw a study done on "miracle mud" a few years ago and the conclusion was that nothing was found in it to prove it came from the ocean. I found pieces of what appeared to be red brick and shiny man-made plastic things in mine. It's from someone's back yard IMO.
I used that stuff on a reef i kept years ago. No difference between that one and all the rest since. These are a waste of money in my opinion. I would get myself a few pounds of aragonite based sand and coat the bottom with that and call it a day.
Aragonite sand is the only thing you use in your refugium? How deep?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Sure. As deep as you want. If you have a large enough refugium you can put a deep sand bed in it to help with filtration, but an inch or two is also fine. It's just for critters to breed in.
I don't have any sand in my refugium currently, but if I had some laying around, I'd put it in.

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com