Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Mirror for the back of Aquarium

We recently purchased a large aquarium and stand for our livingroom. Once set up, I didn't like the look of the back of the tank since you could see the black filters and four cords from the lights and filters through the tank.

I measured the back of the aquarium and contacted my local glass and mirror shop. They cut a 1/8" thick mirror in the exact size of the back of the aquarium. They also filed all of the edges so the mirror wouldn't be sharp. The cost of the mirror was $31.00 including tax.

I slid the mirror up under the filter and the glass on the outside back of the tank. The filter alone held the mirror snug against the glass. Then I ran a very thin bead of clear silicone caulk along the bottom of the mirror just to stabilize the mirror to the glass.

You cannot see the silicone at all through the tank. If I ever want to remove the mirror I can just pull the silicone bead off and it won't damage the mirror or the tank.

The best part is that it hides all of the cords and filters on the back of the tank and gives it a very clean look.
Hope this helps!

KSWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
My local petsmart carries mirror-back tanks.

black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks for the information - it is a little late though. And I'm surprised to find that Petsmart carries mirror back tanks. Where I'm from (Philadelphia) it is very hard to find them. Even my Google search came up empty. It seemed nobody still made those kinds of tanks.
I purchased a beautiful 36gal corner tank (no mirrors) but I did the next best thing. I saw the mirror back backgroud Penn Plax offered (which in my opinion isn't worth the money) and that had the wheels in my head turning. And I started thinking (me thinking is a bad thing according to my family). Anyway, long story short - a company in England makes a product called "Mirror On A Roll". I sent away for it - applied it to my tank with "SeaView" and presto - instant mirror back.
It is not 100% flawless - but it is nice
When my tank finishes cycling I'll post pictures
Thanks again for the info
warped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Thanx but no.....

One would wonder how aggressive territorial fish will react to seeing themselves in the reflection. Will they mistake the reflection for another of the same species and charge the mirror.

Not sure I'd put one on a SW. I've at times had to tape up black construction paper on a tank end when it looked like a fish was seeing it's reflection and getting all bothered about it. Certain time of year and sun angle is the culprit. Now it's a strategically placed floor plant that diffuses the light.

In FW you're not going to get the coraline on the back wall either

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

mirror, school

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com