Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mirrors (real old school)

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away - when the fanciest fish a person could have bought was a black goldfish - I was able to buy fish tanks with a mirror on the back -- made the tank look deeper -- The stores that manufactured them have since either stopped making them or closed shop -- My question to the fish Illuminati is if I got a mirror - cut to size - can it be glued to the back of my tank? Does it compromise the stability and structure of the tank - meaning will it pull the tank apart? The mirror I had in mind is just under 1/4 inch thick - any help in my dementia would be appreciated

Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Why not use a spray on mirror paint. Krylon and others make them.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could use mylar: Blue/Silver Mirror-Back Aquarium Backing by Penn Plax - Dcor - PetSmart
Old 04-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well to be honest as to why I don't consider using mirror paint - Truthfully I did not know that kind of stuff existed. I mean I know Krylon paint but I don't know Mirror Krylon paint. And the same holds true with the tank backing. I've seen them in blue - black - holographic blue pattern and assorted plant patterns. I've never seen it in sliver. I'm guessing it is like a mirror. But that is why I joined this site out of all that were offered. You know your stuff. As soon as I get done browsing AA, I'll check what you offered. I guess nobody is keen to gluing a mirror on huh? --- Much thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My biggest problem with gluing on the mirror is that if you wanted to take it off, how hard would it be? It would probably break the glass. So if you don't like it, you are stuck with it. And what can you do to make the mirror flawless with the glue? You'll see it. I used the mirrored backing and it looked good until you get a small crease in it. It happened when the filter got moved during a maintenance cleaning. But it is so cheap that you can just buy another piece if needed.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
If your tank is on a traditional stand it may not need to be attached. Look at attaching "L" brackets to the back (larger aka longer the better). get some foam strips to put on the inside of the L (any hardware store). Slide the glass into the brackets and tighten down (gently). If you have a canopy, do the same at the top. Much the same way as large glass is attached to a wall in a bathroom.

Even if it's not a traditional stand I'm sure you could use some variation of the theme on almost any stand
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great advice again - I like the L bracket idea - I am also shopping for the mirror back ground - I have found two so far and am interested if anybody had any experience and good results with "Oceanvision Mirror back groud" or "PennPlax silver back ground" - Advice to this will be a great help because I would hate to get one one and have to lug that tank again to replace it
Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used the Penn Plax before and it looked great. I have only used one Oceanvision background and it was the stick on kind. Didn't work so well for us. lol It's great in concept, but I suppose you need to have patience when putting it on.

55 Gallon Community
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
my job sells that mirror background..never seen it on a tank...but apparently its difficult to put on..you have to do it "just right"..or itll be all scrunchy. i think it would look cool though
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Penn Plax is not hard to install at all. Just don't bend it into a crease and you won't have any problems.

55 Gallon Community

Tags
mirror, school

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com