Misc questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
I`ve got a big dilema here. I plan to buy a bigger tank mostly around 55 Gallon and i was think what should i buy for a filter ? What is the best ? Underwater like the "Fluvial" ? undergravel ? Canister ? Which one is in my best interest to buy ?

Your best bet would be a canister for a tank that size. I use a Cascade 1000 on my 55 gal.

OK thanks for you input i'll go for a canister filter. As you might have seen i`ve also change the topic name because if found out i had more than one question. For the bottom of the tank now. Sand or gravel ? I would say gravel because the bacteria tent to live there right ?

I prefer sand, I use pool filter sand. It looks completely natural, easier to clean and the bacteria live in the sand same as gravel.

Doesnt mateer. Sand makes a great substrate. It looks really nice as well. I would think sand has more surface area, the grains are a lot smaller.

You can clean it with a python. You hover over the top the duritis will get sucked up and leave the sand behind. The added benefit of sand is the junk stays on top instead of working its way down into the gravel.

Even when you push the python into the sand, pool filter sand is heavy enough to fall out of the python and not get sucked up. I move the python over the sand get the gunk up, stir the sand with the flow off and turn the flow back on to clean the stuff I just stirred.

I move the sand in our tanks with the Python. I may get a few pieces of sand out of the tank, but it's not enough to notice.

Back to the filter so i`ve been looking around and the Cascade 1000 for penn plax seem to be my choice but i`ve been search and do i need something to plug it it for the return of water and the input or does it come with the filter ?

Everything that you need for the Cascade comes with the filter. I would purchase a box of ceramic rings to use in one of the baskets instead of the carbon though.

Noted ! Thank you for the advices. I'm currently planning the cost for this beast. I`ve given myself 1000$ (Canadian) for all my setup. I already have the fishs in my 15 gal that i will transfer eventually. Here is what i`ve got so far :

Stand unit cabinet. 149.99$
55 Gallon tank; up to 300$ (size may vary if the price is good)
Carib Sea Aragamax Sand-30 Lbs. 39.99$
Cascade 1000 Canister Filter. 159.99$
Decoration Misc. Up to 100$
Hydor ETH 300 In-Line Heater-300 W. 79.99$
Ceramic Ring. 29.99$
Other Misc Stuff. 20$
FOR A BIG TOTAL OF 1000$ with taxes.

That is a huge price difference in Canada versus the US! The Cascade 1000 in the US is $75. I think the XP3 would be overdoing it on gph. If you wanted to go with the Filstar line, I would go smaller.

I use the Fluval Pre-filter media as ceramic rings.

Yeah, let's not touch on the price difference, it's already a sensitive subject (for me at least). from Hello lights, lighting with spare bulbs would have been 360USD, from Big Als, same lights with spare bulbs 1500$

The XP3 on my 55G does just fine. Yes, quite powerful, but works well. I use the spraybar to spread out the flow to make it easier on the fish in the 55G. I'll be moving it to my 75G once my plants come in. Then I'll just be left with my Emperor 400 on my 55G,

Back
Top Bottom