Mix and Match bulbs+fixtures????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can fluorescent lights be put in a T5HO fixture???? I'm not sure how hard T5HO bulbs are, but just in case.. I was wondering this.

If you're talking a normal like home depot fixture, I don't think it'll work. Those usually run like t8's or t12's, and if you buy an adapter, maybe a t5, but I think a t5ho takes a higher voltage and/or amperage than normal. (more power>>more light)

they're all flourescent...T5HO bulbs are just skinnier (5/8") where T8 are 1" (the t-# is that #/8"). T5HO (or T5NO) are not interchangeable with T8 or T12. The ballast and end caps are different. T5HO bulbs are easy to find online, my local petsmart even has them (much more expensive than online).

+1 for Jonathan

Simple answer is they are not interchangeable. End caps are different. Ballasts are different. You can get a retro kit for a fixture to convert it to another type (NO to T5, or PC).

T8 and T5 bulbs have diferently spaced prongs on the endcap. The ballast may support another type, you would have to look it up unless it is labeled. I would just assume it is not. There is also a difference between T5 and T5HO. I have a 48" fixture of T5, and I bought an HO ballast for it, for some reason it will overdrive the normal T5s but not light the HO bulbs. Probably has something to do with the placement of the ballast. You also need the right relector, not just for light, but to fire the bulbs.

I would just buy a T5HO fixture.

Back
Top Bottom