MJ1200 starting to hum like crazy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thing is driving me CRAZY for the past few days. The tank is in our bedroom and it's a constant humming. Not sure what it means. I checked the pump and cleaned it. It just got really noisy all of a sudden.

My Aqueon QuietFlow does that sometimes. I think something gets jammed. All I do is smack it and it literally shuts up. In the worst case you could try replacing it if you keep the receipt

Bobjoefredsky said:
My Aqueon QuietFlow does that sometimes. I think something gets jammed. All I do is smack it and it literally shuts up. In the worst case you could try replacing it if you keep the receipt

Oh I'm about to smack it believe me lol. I played with the top, it's a bio cube and the pump is in chamber 3. When I lift the top it stops. So this leads me to believe its a vibration issue. Now to figure out how to quite this thing down before I see if it can fly

Check the magnets for any scratches or damage because if its off balance you can experiece some noise. One of my ventilation fans magnet is damaged from a small chip of magnet banging around so gotta replace that soon :x

Mrc8858 said:
Check the magnets for any scratches or damage because if its off balance you can experiece some noise. One of my ventilation fans magnet is damaged from a small chip of magnet banging around so gotta replace that soon :x

I'm on it! Checking it now. Thanks!

You could probably stick some filter material under it until you fix it, just to shut it up lol.

Zactheninja said:
You could probably stick some filter material under it until you fix it, just to shut it up lol.

+1 local reefer I got some equipment off of actually put a 1" thick "foot" of silicone on his return pump lol

Also convict make sure your propeller looks symmetrical and there is no damage from debris cause spinning at that high of RPMs even the slightest bit will throw it off balance.

Edit* if so you can check some shops around you some carry replacement parts.

Thanks everyone. Took the pump out, took it apart, cleaned and inspected it. Put back together re seated it in a different manner and BAM!! It's pumping even better now!!

And it's quieter!!

Wow!! Seriously it's like a different pump.

Thanks again!

Mrc8858 said:
+1 local reefer I got some equipment off of actually put a 1" thick "foot" of silicone on his return pump lol

Thats awesome!
Lol I can just see 3 days later "well my return broke..."

Convict2161 said:
Oh I'm about to smack it believe me lol. I played with the top, it's a bio cube and the pump is in chamber 3. When I lift the top it stops. So this leads me to believe its a vibration issue. Now to figure out how to quite this thing down before I see if it can fly

Hope there is improvement!

Back
Top Bottom