Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Modified my marinelad maxi-jet 400, good idea or bad

Recently installed this pump in my 66G planted as a better way to diffuse CO2. It seems to work a lot better than the bubble ladder I was using. But I was surprised to find that the CO2 tubing feeds into the pump output. It injects the gas into the water stream as it shoots out of the pump breaking it into a mass of tiny bubbles. Some of the bubbles weren't so tiny though so I made a small hole in the screen that covers the intake and fed the CO2 tubing through it. Now the gas goes through the motor, then gets shot out. The bubbles are way smaller.

Question is will this destroy the pump. I can hear a "pssst" sound with every bubble as it goes through. Also I read somewhere CO2 can embrittle plastics till they fail. Is this asking for trouble.

Lohoyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com