Mold in water changer tubing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently found white mold inside my clear tubing that connects to my Aqueon water changer that connects to the sink. I just tried soaking the inside with hydrogen peroxide for about 2 hours, but the mold hasn't budged. First, is there any way to completely dry the inside of the tubing to prevent this mold from coming back and is there a way that doesn't involve bleach to get rid of this mold?

I'm a newbie but from the little I know, this is what I would try:

I would try sticking it in a very sunny spot, preferably hanging it, to get out as much water as possible.

Maybe 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and then make sure it gets rinsed out really, really, really well.

Maybe buy a new line?... :ermm:

Good luck, let us know if anything works,
Michelle

I live in a state that only gets 3 months of sunshine a year, then nothing but rain, so it's not a long-term solution to get the tubing dry. I might try vinegar next, but really surprised that letting it soak in hydrogen peroxide for 2 hours then running hot water through it didn't remove most of it.. =/

Ahhhh a fellow pacific northwester ... Where something is blooming year round, particularly the mold.

Vinegar is highly effective against mold. But I prefer bleach followed by a high dose of dechlorinator. Maybe a pipe cleaner to scrub a bit.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Also ... You may already be aware ... Often even after the living mold is gone, a stain remains so it looks like it is still there. Can't help that.

I'm curious if different types of tubing are less hospitable, or easier to clean, because they have smoother surfaces or whatnot. Might be worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I get about 6 months out of a siphon hose before mold starts setting in
I buy 3/4 clear hose at the fish store 75 cents a foot , a 10 foot hose costs me about $8. dollars so it's just cheaper to replace rather than kill myself cleaning out hose

Back
Top Bottom