mold on drift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ROB6465

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Wife and I have a new 37 gal tank. We added water and all was ok. We purchased drift from same store we got water and added drift 5 days later. Yesterday we noticed this. What is it? Even the color changed on water, was clear before we added drift. Should we replace everything again?

Attachments

• drift.jpg
    drift.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 73
You are fine. The fluffy white stuff will go away with time. As far as I know its not harmful. The brown water is due to tannins leaching out of the driftwood. Not harmful either. You can scrub the wood and do heavy water changes but it will all come right back. Many people soak there driftwood for a month or so before putting it in the tank to keep this from happening.

The *mold* is a type of biofilm that seems to appear on most wood when it is first introduced to a tank and yes it will disappear on it's own.It is adored by aquarium shrimp so I always hope for some. If the tannins leaching from your wood are unpleasing you can either remove it and soak or boil it in the hopes of removing them (although I have 8 year old wood that still turns my water yellow) or try using Purigen apparently it will remove them from the tank.

Thank you everyone. Appreciate the replies. Wife still does not like the color of water so we'll need to replace water and wondering if we need to replace sand too? She thinks everything in tank now will kill the fishes once we add them.

No you dont need to remove the sand. Everything is perfectly fine and won't hurt anything. Just change 50% of the water every few days and be patient. Things will clear up.

Tannins are GOOD, some fish actually require them. *Purigen* will take out the colour and is rechargeable once it has absorbed its max so a better choice than charcoal IMO. There is NO need to remove the sand it's fine. Removing the sand will also restart your cycle making the wait before you can add fish even longer. These are my tanks months after having Tannins present. As you can see even my snails & shrimp are happy. Angels even laid eggs20181129_101418.jpgScreenshot_20180913-194203_Kijiji.jpg20161208_143837.jpg20170321_174423.jpg20160206_142825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom