Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Moon lighting suggestion?

Hi,
I'm new to this and need some suggestions. We just got a 60 gallon SW tank. We are in the beginning stage of adding fish,coral, etc. What do you guys suggest for moonlighting? Is it better to have blue and white lighting? Just blue? I've seen posts where people had red and blue lighting.

Also, how bright should moon lighting be? Does it harm the fish/corals if it's too much lighting?

1 black lip butterfly fish
1 dwarf hawk fish
1 arrow crab
Cleaner crew ( hermits and snails )
Small red starfish, forgot the name but it's a more durable starfish.
Mini brittle stars
Sarcophyton latum coral
Green star polyp

Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have white and actinic lighting already and want to add a moonlight? What type of fixture do you have? If it's t5 you run both white and actinic together for around 7-8 hours a day, then moonlights for a few hours either side of that. When I had t5 that's how I did it. Moonlights are for your viewing pleasure (I had cheap LEDs) so not too bright and remember your tank needs total darkness too...

Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use blue automotive led strips and a 120volt to 12volt converter( a simple play station plug)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm completely new to having a saltwater tank. Are you suppose to leave moon lights on all night or is there a period of time you should have no lights on at all? What lighting schedule do you guys have and what type of lights does everyone use?

We are currently using T5 2 bulb lighting system for daytime and a small blue LED light strip for nighttime.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessilyn86 View Post
Are you suppose to leave moon lights on all night or is there a period of time you should have no lights on at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Do you have white and actinic lighting already and want to add a moonlight? What type of fixture do you have? If it's t5 you run both white and actinic together for around 7-8 hours a day, then moonlights for a few hours either side of that. When I had t5 that's how I did it. Moonlights are for your viewing pleasure (I had cheap LEDs) so not too bright and remember your tank needs total darkness too...
I saw this post a couple up. It looks like you're question is already answered. You're tank needs a few hours of pitch black. I guess you may get up, turn on moon lighting, then hit the main lights when you go to work, school, etc., then cut the main light off when you get home, and then kill the moon light when you go to bed. Sound right, folks? Btw: I keep freshwater fish, not salt water. I haven't a clue.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a timer for your lights - it will change your life! Yes, as already mentioned above 6-7 hours of full light with a few hours of moonlight either side is plenty. My tank has almost 12 hours darkness...

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com