Moonlight Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank...and I am thinking about getting some moonlighting in it. I have these Lunar lights in mind and I'd like to know what you guys think of how many of them i should have to have a nice moonlight in the tank....heres the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12760&N=2004+113544

Just copy and paste it in your address bar. Any ideas would be awesome thanks again everybody.

Fishylittlenemo

It's cheaper and get more lights for the system. If you'll go do it yourself. With the moon lighting here's a link to a guy who's sell the whole set you for like 12 bucks.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?lighting&1141803600

these are super easy to set up and saves you about 50 bucks. With the fosters set up it's 8.99 per lighten peice wit would take 4 to go across a 29 gal tank. Wher as with thisset up you get around 12 bulbs plus everything to hook it up for 12 and shippings just 2 more so for less then 15 bucks you ge enought lights for your tank and then some.

In my opinon... lunar lights are supposed to look dark, not light up the whole tank. I have 1 LED light in my 56 gallon (which is a tall tank not long so the length of the tank is only 30 inches) and I think it looks great. I just barely lights up the features of the tank with out overwhelming the effect of the moon light. If you just have a 29 gallon, i would only put in 2 possibly 3 LEDs, but again that is just my preference. I have seen some pictures of a tank with about 12 lights in it and i think it actually takes away from the feature.

With the fosters set up it's 8.99 per lighten peice wit would take 4 to go across a 29 gal tank

Not even . . . .all of two for my 55 Gal long . . . I'm sure just the one for your 29 Gal.

I bought those exact lights from Drs. Foster and Smith and I couldn't be happier with them. I bought the one light unit and one link for my 55 gal long. Installation took all of about 5 minutes. Without knowing the configuration of your 29 Gal, I'd say that probably just the one would be plenty, but its all up to you.

Here is how mine turned out with those lights:

The pic is a little overexposed to demonstrate the effect, so its truthfully not that bright . . . but you can still easily view all the night activity in your tank with them. It's great to see my nocturnals out to play!

i have one 3/4 watt led on my 75gal. I agree it should simulate moon lighting which is faint at best. Again just my opinion but it shouldn't be all lit up to see everything. I have mine shooting on an angle form the side and it looks pretty cool. The other thing is that by shooting on an angle from the side it projects my tank on one wall in my bedroom which looks pretty neat.

hey dont tap, marine? I eas in 17 days, also, i have made my own led system and was wondering how bright it should be, i have a selector switch on my inverter to make it some what lighted to decently bright.

I got out of the Marines in '98 after serving my tour with the Presidential Helicopter Squadron in Quantico . . .one of the Elite of the Elite, high profile stuff . . . didn't figure it was going to get any better than that so I didn't reenlist when the time came. I was a CH-53E Helicopter Mechanic/Crew Chief and wasn't looking forward to 6 months at a time on a boat.

Recommendation on those lights in particular says 1 unit for every 2 feet of water, my tanks 4 feet across, so I got two and it works beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom