Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Moonlighting??

My son just brought me home a skinny, about 5inch fluorescent type bulb marketed for use in cars. It gives off a blue light. I am not sure if it is a black light.(it looks kinda like it) Can I use this for moon lighting? We put it over the aquarium and it looks awesome, but I dont want to stress the occupants out with it. It is a 30 gal. tank with a sebae anenome, a pink skunk clown and some live rock.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have heard of other people doing this, I do not know what the long term effects might be...

Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I use a cold cathode light on my 75 thats from a computer. It's probably basically the same as you have. Mine was too bright tho so I what I did was went and picked up a variable output ac adapter and set it for 100mA and 7.5v. I think it's about perfect now as far as brightness.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tried to hardwire it to a lower voltage output ac adapter and it wouldnt fire up. I will look into a variable output and maybe I can find the minimun needed to fire it up. Right now the tank looks awesome with it the way it is. It appears to be a fluorescent type bulb, i guess I figured they are either on or off.

How long can you leave it on for? Can I leave it on all the time. You cant tell it is even on when the main lights are on. Should the tank have a completely dark time? I think I read where people leave them on all the time but I dont want to freak out the occupants.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I leave mine on all the time.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com