More plumbing cluelessness . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be the newbie from hell from the next few days as this display tank goes up. I apologize in advance. I promise to do searches before asking . . . anyone want to help with my mag 9.5?

~it's okay to operate on its "side," right? with the . . . outtake . . . return . . . whatever that's called . . . pointing up? (this makes the label on the back read sideways)
~So, um, how you you attach it to the glass? Some online instructions I found mention "suction cups" but I have no cups and no place to attach them if I did. The return section in the sump is pretty tight, so if it moves around much at all it will bump the glass which I can't imagine is a good thing.
~and start all pumps wet, right?
~and if anyone has some "this will make it better" tips I would take them with thanks.

I truly am a jackass about this mechanical stuff. Sorry to be so dense about things that are probably completely obvious.

~it's okay to operate on its "side," right? with the . . . outtake . . . return . . . whatever that's called . . . pointing up? (this makes the label on the back read sideways)

Thats acutally its normal operation. The intake on the side and the outlet on the top.

~So, um, how you you attach it to the glass? Some online instructions I found mention "suction cups" but I have no cups and no place to attach them if I did. The return section in the sump is pretty tight, so if it moves around much at all it will bump the glass which I can't imagine is a good thing.

Most folks dont attach mag pumps to the glass. Instead they just sit it on the bottom of their sump.

~and start all pumps wet, right?

Correct. Never run a mag dry as it can cause impeller damage.

Thanks, fishfreek.

outlet on the top.

Outlet. That's the word! One would think that as an English teacher I'd know that. :)

Most folks dont attach mag pumps to the glass. Instead they just sit it on the bottom of their sump

So it won't vibrate all over the place? Cool. I thought this was going to be a project unto itself . . . maybe not!

I've got a mag 9.5 that i have had for over a year now and it just sits on the bottom of my sump. It will only vibrate if it touches the side. It makes a humming noise if it moves but PVC plumming helped that moving prob. :wink: Good luck with the new tank :wink:

Back
Top Bottom