Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mothballing a QT canister filter?

OK, not literal mothballs of course but....

I think I'm "done" for a while with new plants and fish and such. I have a 30G tank going I used for quarantine, nice big canister filter, etc.

If I decide to put it up on a shelf for a while and not use it, what's the best way to handle the canister filter?

Sponge and floss type media: Throw away and don't try to save it? I would probably do that for the floss anyway, but the sponge media? Wash and steralize with chlorox and dry?

I have Seachem Matrix in it -- that's a bit pricey. I realize any bacteria is going to die, so should I rush that death with a chlorox bath and let it dry? Or is it better to just let it dry out, bacteria and dirt and all, with the idea there are some kind of cysts/hibernating forms that may come back quicker? Or do I need to dispose (I would hope not -- it's just rocks, basically).

Seachem perigen -- always heard keep it wet once you use it, so ... dispose? Recharge and dry out? Put in a baggie with water so it will stay wet, and hope nothing toxic forms?

The tank itself, filter plastics, hoses, I'll probably do a chlorine wash thoroughly (maybe just let it run pool water through for 24 hours after shocking the pool). Not worried about that, more about the media in the filter, is it a lost cause or reuse?

Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Subscribing for the responses. I'm decommissioning my aquarium in a month or two and was wondering as well.
"Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebräu?"
stooker is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com