Motor Maintenance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EyeInSky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I recently read that it was essential to run vinegar + water (1pt distilled white vinegar + 1pt tap water) throughout your water pumps every 3-4 months! I guess that goes for skimmers and return pumps, as this will remove calcium deposits and other minerals.

After running through for 12-24 hours, I guess you then run through regular clean RO/RODI/Distilled water for another 12 hours or so (and completely dry before returning to your system).

I have been running my aquarium for about 2 years now and have NEVER done these things! (Ouch, sorry... my BAD!!). But I wanted to check on this board to see what the consensus was as far as this kind of maintenance goes.

Also, I have been thinking of buying 4 Purigen bags to surround my return pump. Supposedly it really "polishes" the water making it super clean. Feedback says something to the effect of like watching "high definition" vs. "standard definition" in a seemingly clean water tank. But, I have also read instructions using bleach to clean these crystals! That scares me, but (just like with the vinegar solution), I'm guessing if proper instructions are followed there really isn't a risk to contaminate or cause injury to the organisms in the tank. Any thoughts on Purigen?

Thanks in advance,
EyeInSky

I didn't know that Haha learned something new again today. Now that I think about it, its actually a really good idea to get all the buildup out. Maybe that's why they always break on me lol :)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom