Motor Rattle/noise tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Fluval Aquaclear 70 motor rattles and makes noise pretty loudly after about 2 years. I can take the prop out and clean it, but it only stays quiet for a day at most. I suspect that fish are kicking up sand, and that's getting in there junking it up. But like I said, I ran the filter for two years now and haven't had a problem. I've though about shortening the down stem, but I like the waters intake low in the tank.

Any advice on how to clean out/quiet the prop? Thanks in advance.

Check the impella for damage to the blades. If you use a prefilter sponge on the intake, it will stop the sand being sucked up....

Check the impella for damage to the blades. If you use a prefilter sponge on the intake, it will stop the sand being sucked up....

I'll try that, I just cleaned it out again, and it was quiet like brand new, I'm sure now it's the sand. Thanks.

In my sand tanks, I take one of the intake extensions off so it's higher up. One of the drawbacks of HOB is that the impeller comes before the media.

In my sand tanks, I take one of the intake extensions off so it's higher up. One of the drawbacks of HOB is that the impeller comes before the media.

I thought about doing that, but I like it lower to get more of the waste. I'm going to see about the sponge though.

Have you tried using Vaseline on the impella and shaft. It may keep it quiet between cleaning although at two years old, it shouldn't need it. It may well be best to just replace it???

It's been quiet all day, I think the problem was my JD was getting spooked when I walked past the tank and kicked up a ton of sand into it, but with the pre filter in place it should be good now.

It's been quiet all day, I think the problem was my JD was getting spooked when I walked past the tank and kicked up a ton of sand into it, but with the pre filter in place it should be good now.
Yeah that will keep the sand out. When I said replace it, I meant the impella not the filter...lol

Back
Top Bottom