Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #1

Moving a 10 gallon tank....

Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking that if I get 75% of the water out and get it on a flat board it should not be too hard to do.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
cj10488

To be quite honest I have moved a 10 gal by taking out 25-50% of the water and just picking it up and carrying it.. I have never had one break on me yet..

hth,
James
Old 11-11-2003, 06:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd move all of my fish out, drain the water, move it, refill it, return the fish.

It's only 10 gallons, it should take less than 20 minutes.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #4

Catching the fish will take more than 20 minutes.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Catching the fish will take more than 20 minutes.
Yea, for me too. Dang them buggers are fast

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
Ive moved my 20 gal before with only taking out like 75% of the water. Just make sure you know where you are gonna put it before you move it. I would probably take out any ornaments that might fall over and hurt the fish though. Other than that you should be alright.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I just moved my ten gallon. I put about 5 gallons of water in my water change bucket, picked up the tank, moved it, and dumped the water back in. I left the fish in and they were fine. Total time: 15 minutes. Like it was said before, just know where you want to put it. Additionally, you should be able to comfortably lift about 100 lbs if you want to attempt this.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i moved my planted 10 gal from my apartment outside detroit to a new place in Northern michigan, about 5 car hours away... the fish were impossible to get out without damaging the aquascape, so I just drained down about 7 gallons of water, covered the top of the tank with taped on saran wrap and loaded it in the van after all my other junk...

fish and plants made it unharmed, probably just thought it was a bad storm or something?

I didn't try this trick with either my 29 or 30 though - just a bit too leary about that much weight
Old 11-16-2003, 02:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I just drain about 25% of the water out pick it up and move it where you want it and dump the water back in.
Not to hard at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it a glass or acrylic tank? I'd assume that you should be more careful with acrylic since they can break if there's too much weight on them. If I Was you I'd do what most everyone else said: take about 75% of the water out as well as major ornaments that could fall and hurt your fish, move it, and fill it back up.

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com