moving a large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a 120 gallon tank and stand and want to know if there are any procuations i should take when moving it. I heard handling it wrong can cause a leak. I want this tank to arrive safe and sound

Three weeks ago, I moved into another house (also to another town), and moving my 125 gal (6 feet long). was a sport. 8O Since it would be moved by a moving company and their insurance was not really that great, I did not want to chance it. I built a crate for it, using 2"x6", 2"x4" for the support and framing, and also used the blue insulation styrofoam, 1" thick. Everything was screwed in place. I also ensure to cut out handles in the 2"x6" to make it easier for the movers. Once loaded in the truck, they wrapped the whole thing with a few of those thick moving blankets they use. The tank arrived safely at the new location, no cracks, no leaks. Total cost for the crate was around $60.00 CDN. HTH

8)

the cost of building a crate for the 120 might be less.. its 4 foot long from what I remember, and 2 foot wide.
It is possible to move big tanks without such precautions (Ive moved my 75 gallon way too many times) a little extra caution would be wise. these things are heavy.. hope you can inlist some help.

We moved our 150 gal tank back in July and it was a definate workout. We put a cover on the bed of the truck (with a camper shell), wrapped the tank with another cover, and drove slowly. Just make sure when handling it to be careful and slow. Don't rush it otherwise it could be easily dropped. Those tanks are HEAVY. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom