Moving a large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potterlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

So, I have found a 125 gallon tank for a reasonable price (at least for my area), and think I'm going to go take a look over it (it's a 150 mile drive from here, but I'm heading to my folks place for Christmas, and it's along the way). I have a half-ton with a 6 foot box; the tank is 72 x 20 x 20. The point of this rambling: when moving a large tank long distances, does anyone have advice to ensure the tank makes the trip safe and sound? I'm thinking of laying old blankets in the box of my truck, as well as trying as best as possible to secure the tank into place before leaving (weighting it down and whatnot). Any advice from anyone who has done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

blankets in between any contact points, tie it with rope and just put cardboard over the edges.
Thats how the movers would do it anyway

Matt.

If it is secure it should be fine. Styro makes good bumper material. It is heavy enough that you shouldn't add any weight inside it. In addition, if the sdded material were to bounce up and down inside the tank there is the risk of busting the bottom, however slight. I would also use a dolly to move it, especially if there are any stairs involved.

I have heard to move any large aquarium, any distance, a trick is to use a piece of plywood under it for moving. That way you won't put any pressure on the tank frame itself. I plan to do that next month; I'm upgrading to a new aquarium and a friend of mine is buying my old one, but we only have to go about 15 miles.

Good luck with the move! And Merry Christmas.

Just to add my 2 cents here, based on my personal experience this past September. I build a crate for my 125, 6 ft. Used 2X4 and 2X6 for the framing, one inch blue styrofoam under and all around the tank. The movers GENTLY loaded the tank in their truck and wrapped a few layers of moving blankets around it. The tank traveled over 15 miles on highway and small town roads and amde it safely to its new home. The tank had no dammage nor any leaks. HTH

Merry X-mas!

8)

to move my 8x2x2 i used a 7ft trailer with foam on the floor. 2 straps over the top with cardboard under so they dont get cut buy the glass(rubber is better) and one around theback so it cannot slide. it wasnt a long trip but was bumpy. had a 12mm base and 10mm sides.

Back
Top Bottom