Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to coverguy
moving a tank 2 inches ... should i?

Heya guys .... call it improper planning or plain ignorance ... but i m in a fix! I need to add the new Remora skimmer to my tank ... easy but one problem ... there is not enough space between the wall and the rear of the tank! ... so how do i move it? ... i can remem threads saying "NEVER MOVE A TANK" but now i have to work against it ... can anyone tell me the best guidelines to minimize the risk or cracking the tank?

1. The tank needs to be moved 2 inches
2. Tank is 45 gallon (1.2 metre wide) acrylic tank. (4 month old/ curved front)
3. 6 fishes and few pieces of rocks.
4. Strong wooden cabinet with plain base (no legs/flat)
5. House flooring - smooth tiles.

There is no room to put the skimmer at the sides. Will appreciate if u take the time to guide me on this (also it will be helpful if you mention if you have tried doing the same on your tank with the same/more gallons)

~ viv ~

coverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Take the tank down as if your moving it to a different room or. The tank itself is going to be over 500lbs with water, rock, substate, etc. Then add the weight of the stand your not going to be able to move it even 1/2" with out risk of damaging the stand joints. You might think you can slide it but your putting alot of horizonal stress on the stand that was not designed for anything other then supporting downward force.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
ick! To do it without damaging anything, either the tank, stand or your floor, would require you to move it Properly. WHich would mean draining the tank and everything in it. You could probably get away with just taking the water out and moving the tank and stand as a whole, but this WILL scratch your floor tiles. I think it's going to be up to you to decide if it's going to be worth the effort or not. I would NOT reccomend trying to move the tank and stand while still full.

[edit]FF makes a great point. I always think of my stand subconsiously which might handle a pust at the base. Most stands would not. You would really have to take the entire tank down to move the stand out 2 inches.[/edit]
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd drain it down 100%, remove the fish, and the live rock and store them in the removed tank water, which you'll be putting right back in the tank.

then get 3-4 people, and everyone grab the stand at the bottom, and carefully try to drag it forward. You will scratch the floor. You might be able to pick the stand up a little as you slide, but be REALLY crazy careful.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, well, all caution aside I moved my previous 75 gallon arylic (freshwater though) several feet a couple of times. I removed all of the rock, left about half of the water in, and then just slid it. I suppose this was dangerous, but it never caused me a problem.

Especially if you are just moving two inches, I seriously doubt you're going to have major problems. Just make sure its still level and that you move it from the bottom, not the top.
neide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would suggest purchasing a sump. Then you can run your skimmer from there. Not to mention the added benefits that go along with it. Of course this is only an option if you can afford it. You won't have to move nothing then. Just a thought.

I would take it down like fishfreek said. Sure hate to hear about your tank crashing to the floor because the stand gave out.

125 Gal-35 Gal Wet/Dry-Tetra-Tec PF500 HOB Filter
(3) AuquaClear 301 Powerheads-600 GPH Circulating Pump
Automatic Tempature Controller
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ya dude I wouldn't listen to neide(no offence) you DO NOT want to move that tank full or half full for that matter. I had the same problem once and it only took me an hour to move it. To risk a catastophe just isn't worth it IMO
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, do as you please. But I talked to a couple of my friends with bigger tanks than my previous one that I had moved and they have done so succsfully as well. YMMV

You'll find that in general, people on this board are extremely conservative, which is good most of the time, but its always good to know that as well.
neide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That guy moved his tank about a foot without emptying it. Not suggesting anything one way or another but you can read what he did.

Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com