Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moving: filtration question...

I have to move my 29 gal tank sometime this week. This tank has had a UGF for several years, and although I thoroughly vacuum the gravel, I'm sure there is a bunch of gunk that needs to be cleaned out of there. I haven't cleaned under the plates in a while. I am planning to take this opportunity while moving to clean everything very well.

My question is this. I would like to get rid of the UGF because it is so dirty, but am concerned about losing all the biological filtration. I recently put a Penguin 125 on the tank, so I now have a bio-wheel (although it is probably not cured yet).

What do y'all think about UGF? What if I get a reverse flow power head and push the water up through the gravel instead? Should I scrap the UGF concept all together? Most importantly I don't want to destroy my biological filter.

Whatever change I make I'd like to make while my fish are out of the tank temporarily so that the water can clear before they go back in.

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Old 10-19-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would ditch the under gravel mabey too save the biological filtration that you have only take half of the filter plate out then take the other half out a week or 2 later.

Old 10-19-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the plate itself does not provide the biological filtration.

it merely increases the effect of the filtration your gravel bed already provides.

remove the entire filter and vacuum the gravel thoroughly to remove excess debris, don't use anything except dechlorinated water if you need to rinse the gravel lightly.

your bacteria should remain intact on at least a majority of the gravel, and will quickly populate whatever new filter you choose.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
justDIY is right.
By removing your undergravel plate should not affect your bacteria to much. You have the penquin 125 on there so that will help as well, if you clean the gravel clean it in water that you remove from the tank and that will help. You will be suprised how much crap will be under that plate, have fun and let us know how you get on.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Listen to the guys above they are on the dot. I have a 29 gallon with a penguin 125, and it works just fine with no algae problems. You are definately going to want to vacuum the hell out of the gravel though.. there is going to be a looooooooot of junk down there that will fly up in the water.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright then - tomorrow is moving day, and the UGF is coming out... I'll let y'all know how it comes out!

Electrobes - you a gator? I'm a gator! You think Zook has a job next year? 8O
Old 10-22-2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Holy cow! I am amazed that my fish were doing so well with all that crap under the ugf plates! Everything is clear as a bell now. I'm sure that cleaning all that out and getting rid of the filter plates will really help my fish in the long run. It can't have been good for all that junk to have been under there. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Everyone is moved and back in the tank. The tigers are schooling, the minnows are serenely swimming along and the shark is trying to figure out where his territory is, since I moved everything around on him.

One scary moment earlier, when a suicidal tiger barb decided life wasn't worth living in the bucket. I was standing right there, and he scared me to death - practically flopped right out onto my feet! I put him right back in the bucket, and now I can't even tell which one he was.

I'm exhausted! Ever try to catch 7 crazy tiger barbs?

Tags
filtration, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com