Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Multicolor Slate Tile for aquarium safe?

I'm wanting to make some caves for my cichlid tank out of slate. From what I understand single color slate is fine but I've seen conflicting reports on using multicolor slate. Can anyone who has used multi color slate tile first hand tell me of their experience?

I'm looking at this: Daltile Natural Stone Collection Indian Multicolor 12 in. x 12 in. Slate Floor and Wall Tile (10 sq. ft. / case)-S77112121P at The Home Depot

Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Used some similar 6x6 tiles I got from Lowes. They are tough to cut or shape, it was for me anyway! They have grooves on the back which would help keep them in place if laying on grout, but not so much to cut, chip or pound into a design...
Anyway, your asking about them being safe in an aquarium, I soaked them for a few days in scalding hot water, scrubbed them with a brush, and rinsed. I tried the old Vinegar test with no reaction. I then placed in some treated buckets of water testing for ph, gh, kh, copper, and the standard Api master kit tests. I saw no difference from when adding them to the water, to when I tested again a week later so I rolled the dice and used them to anchor some baby Java Fern's and 3 months later all is still well! My GBR's have even spawned on the bigger pieces a few times.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Multicolor Slate Tile for aquarium safe?

Here is the type I used for comparison.

http:// http://www.lowes.com/pd_1318...ate&facetInfo=
Edit: I can't hyperlink properly on my kindle for some reason, but copy/paste worked into my browser...
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Awesome, thanks. I shall proceed!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Post some pics of your caves when you finish! I saw a lot of potential in these tiles, I think I expected to much out of my own ability though... The price for slate at the lfs was just stupid!

Tags
aquarium, aquarium safe, ate, color, safe, slate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com