My 55G has enough space underneath for me to do this (pic). Is this really bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There is space between the middle of the bottom rim and my stand, i decided to slide card board underneath today but would rather not keep in there, it's as if only the ends of my tank is being supported, what do i do?

ForumRunner_20120823_135356.jpg

I can tell you that, that is not safe. A full 55 weighs A LOT, if not enough support is provided then the glass could break. I recommend that you buy foam sheets to put under that so there would be a lot less chance of it breaking

From previous experience, putting some styrofoam under tanks has many benefits along with support it through this like you're seeing. If you have live plants, the styrofoam acts as a cheap insulator that will keep the gravel warmer, helping plants grow roots. This also helps the tank maintain its temperature better.

okay thanks but do I have to empty the tank to put the styrofoam underneath, or can I just slide it under the space as i did with the card board? if I have to empty the tank how do I go about it? what do I need?

xsamrlx17 said:
okay thanks but do I have to empty the tank to put the styrofoam underneath, or can I just slide it under the space as i did with the card board? if I have to empty the tank how do I go about it? what do I need?

I wish I had good answers for ya. I always add the styrofoam before I fill. Id try the slid under first just because the other way sounds like a looooot of work. But, easy routes aren't always the right routes...

If its a sag in the stand I'd put a solid flat piece of plyboard under the entire tank. Foam helps some but Id go for something heavier duty in this situation.

It's less work than cleaning up 55g off of the floor.

jetajockey said:
If its a sag in the stand I'd put a solid flat piece of plyboard under the entire tank. Foam helps some but Id go for something heavier duty in this situation.

It's less work than cleaning up 55g off of the floor.

Well said. If you're going all the way to remove the water. You might as well do both if you can. Plyboard for support, Styrofoam for tank health.

Back
Top Bottom